RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery with 2 Atwood furnaces,

model 8525-IV DLCP. Last evening...
I have a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery with 2 Atwood furnaces, model 8525-IV DLCP. Last evening I had the propane tank filled because it was empty. I have been using the furnaces this winter instead of winterizing because we were using is occasionally. After filling the propane tank, I turned on the furnaces. The rear furnace turned on, but the front one did not. The fan did not turn on, which is supposed to turn on prior to igniting the gas. I contacted Atwood, and the technician told me that the Sail Switch was probably stuck, and that I needed to tap the outside of the tank to get it unstuck. Repeated efforts to do that did not work. Bot***** *****ne is that the fan does not come on, which means that ignition cannot happen.
2/19/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

That can be several things and rarely is it a stuck sail switch. Start by checking the fuse for that furnace and if that is good I suspect that the control board is the problem. Those newer boards are made in China and not good quality. It can be tested easily if you have an outside inspection cover. Take a look and let me know if that is the case. Otherwise, the furnace has to be pulled out from the inside to check that. I can direct you in that if you want and supply a manual. I will also make a phone chat offer for you here.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I swapped the control board from the zone 2 (working) furnace into the zone 1 (non-working) furnace. The zone 1 furnace now works! Bad control board. Note: The plastic piece that the actual control board is mounted to was warped (obviously due to excessive heat). I checked the fan blades, which are made of the same material, and there is no damage to the fan blades. Not sure where the excessive heat came from, but hopefully the new control board will fix that also.