RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The furnace blower mtr in my 1994Skyline Nomad went bad

Robert The furnace blower mtr in...
Robert
The furnace blower mtr in my 1994Skyline Nomad went bad (bearings) during replacement a sensor got broken. Both mtr and sensor were replaced with new. Now it's like there's no propane at the igniters. Blower runs but no heat. Can you help me
2/19/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

HI again!

What is the make and model of the furnace? Also after the blower comes on can you hear it sparking at all? You should hear the electrode spark and a click from the gas valve.

This might take some going back and forth... Robert

Hydro flame 8525-111. No the igniters do not attempt to work. And it was a limit switch not a sensor that was replacedIgniters were cleaned just in case

OK

The way this should work is when you turn the Tstat on the fan will come up to speed and blow on a sail switch, once the sail switch closes it then sends a signal to the board via the high limit so the sail switch should have continuity through it when it closes. IF it is NOT sparking then it could be the sail switch, high limit or circuit board. One thing you need to check is your battery voltage if the voltage was low say around 11 volts the fan motor would spin but not fast enough to close the sail switch, which means you would never get spark. IF you are getting voltage to the board through the sail and high limit then the board could be at fault and I would have it tested, most RV shops can check them out. Click HERE for a wiring diagram this is a service manual see page 10 and 11 you need voltage on that wire coming out of the high limit to the circuit board, if that does not have voltage then the sail or high limit is the issue, if you do have voltage then it could be the board or even the electrode or what sparks. Listen as well for the gas valve, it should click one time when it opens up, if so then the board or electrode is the most likely cause, it really is a process of elimination and the key is the no spark so check your battery voltage to start and then see if the sail switch has continuity when it closes. Hope this helps. Please feel free to respond, follow ups are included... Robert

Sail switch and board were bad both replaced still not working. I don't believe there's enough volts to the mtr

IF it is not the sail switch or circuit board it could be the high limit, or a voltage issue or a problem with the electrode, if the gas valve is clicking then it sounds like the electrode, if the gas valve is not clicking then it could be the high limit or low voltage. Really need to make sure the voltage is over 11 volts, you want at least 12 volts look at the manual again on page 16 you can see voltage goes through the sail switch through the high limit and then to the circuit board and then back out to the gas valve and electrode, they get a signal at the same time, that wire coming from the limit switch should have voltage when you start it up. IF not the blower is not spinning fast enough or the limit is the problem, hope this makes some sense.... Robert

No voltage to kick on mtr switch
Can jump it and mtr runs
No juice from thermostat

OK

Just so I am clear on this the fan is coming on correct? If the sail switch is not closing need to check the incoming DC voltage or voltage at the fan. IF the voltage is low then you could have a battery or converter issue. I am confused about your comment no juice from the thermostat the thermostat will make the fan come on. Robert

Fan came on and flame heated up once after changing sail. RV place tested circuit board it was bad. Replaced board cycled once ten never came back on. Mtr switch has no power from thermostat jumped a wire from hot to mtr it ran voltage on mtr is 10 volts but ran with 7

OK

I think I follow so right now the blower is not coming on? Go to the delay relay and see if you have voltage on that wire that would be coming from the thermostat, some models the relay is part of the circuit board. IF you have voltage on that wire going to the delay relay then it is at fault. IF you have NO voltage on the wire check and make sure you have voltage going through the circuit breaker on/off switch.

As soon as you turn the T-stat On the fan should kick on, power from the thermostat goes to the delay relay or board and the motor should start. Look at the print again on page 16 follow the path of voltage. Robert

I'm being a relay between you & my brother who is doing the work. I'll get back with you tomorrow night. I've sent him everything. He said you've been extremely helpful. He'll be back on it tomorrow

Sounds good..... Robert

Hey... Was just checking in to see if you need anymore help on this, please let me know...

Robert

Robert. I may need more help but my brother wants to go over the wire diagram and take a step back. So let's get you paid for your excellent service. Thank you so much. Terry

Sounds good, you should be able to select a rating a the top of the page, also feel free to follow up with me on this, you still can after you select a rating. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
We're down to the thermostat now
Duo-Therm by Dometic but mines not available and you have tobuy a $130.00 adapter to replace it