RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an older Atwood RV water heater. the pilot flame

I have an older Atwood...
I have an older Atwood RV water heater. the pilot flame lights and will light the main burner but the pilot flame is blowing out when the main burner reaches temperature and turns off the main flame. The main burner is creating a strong draft that seems to make the pilot flame unstable and go out.
2/17/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

The most common cause of that is low LP pressure at the tank regulator. This needs to be checked and adjusted at least once a year. It can be a gas valve going bad, but do the pressure check first and then we can dig deeper if need be. All follow ups are included in our fee.

OK, I will need to set up to test the pressure.

You need a manometer to do that........and most shops have one if you take the regulator into them.

Just checking back in to see if you need more input from me on this issue? I will go ahead and add a copy of the Atwood Service Manual for you which you may find helpful. Print out a copy so you have it. Thanks! http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi Randall
I got distracted from this problem and patched in a portable hot water tank. Your suggestion to check the gas pressure was not easy for me to do. The main flame looks healthy when burning while the pilot flame is yellow and smoky. Carbon is accumulating on the thermocouple. Is there a way to clean the flame tube of the pilot and could that be the problem? My problem is not yet solved but it is more due to me not continuing to troubleshoot than your answers. I would appreciate a number of things to check rather than one suggestion at a time. Other than that I have o problem with your responses and will rate you now if you wish. Can I upgrade the rating after posting my first response?

The manual link gives you all the things to check. Having the LP pressure checked is easy if you take it off and into a shop or just buy a new one for about $25 or so and install it. You may have some debris in the burner tube and all it takes is one small cobweb to cause sooting. The slide adjustment on the air shutter needs to be checked. All of this is in that manual link. Don't worry about upgrading the rating, but get back to me if you need more later. No time limit.