RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I was putting the battery in and had the positive on the…

Customer Question
I was putting the battery...
I was putting the battery in and had the positive on the terminal then while placing the black on ground the white wire touched the positive. Nothing works. I checked breakers and fuses all ok. No power to anywhere but microwave and tv from being plugged into 110. Is there a fuse or breaker between battery and inverter? Or is inverter toast?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/15/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert..

Most likely you have a power converter. A power Inverter allows you to have AC power when you are unplugged, most class A RV's will have the inverter.

So the power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. ON the stand alone style they will have two fuses on them so need to find the power converter and make sure the fuses are good, it could be under the fridge, stove etc. Sometimes on the charge cable to the converter they will also use a breaker, below is a picture, as a general rule they like to stick them 18" from the battery, follow the positive cable and if you see any the voltage to chassis ground should be the same on each post, you also might have more then one, sometimes the slides or landing gear will have one. Check for that and a possible fuse on the converter, if they are good then the converter most likely is the problem. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you a re satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included if needed.

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic