RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 1987 Itasca, just repaired the power control box,

Customer Question
Hi, we have a 1987...
Hi, we have a 1987 Itasca, just repaired the power control box, it had a melt down. Now all back together, to Band new batteries with good voltage , we have even pulled and retested them. We now have no power to the couch. Refrigerator wont come on, none of the panel will light up. On 110 we have AC and light, but now the convertor is making a click followed by a pong and the one light we turned on would dim. I have read that the batteries are supposed to have a reset breaker near them but can not locate. Ideas.
Thank you,
Rita
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/14/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

Yes sometimes on the charge wire from the converter to the batteries they will use a breaker, below is a picture, as a general rule they like to stick that 18" from the battery could be on the frame or can be inside a battery control box with other breakers and fuses. The voltage to chassis ground should be the same on each post, if you see any.

The other issue is the converter, as long as the incoming AC voltage is good then the converter should make the DC voltage and charge the battery. IF you are using any adapters or extension cords I would advise to plug in directly and see if the converter will work. To me it sounds like the converter is the problem, IF you have the make and model of the converter I might be able to send you some troubleshooting... Hope this helps if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

breaker.

we know the make and model. Series 6300A model #6332
By BW Manufacturing
the AC voltage is good.

OK

So you are going to have a red, white and blue coming out of the converter the red is charger output, the blue is converter output and the white is ground. We are talking about DC voltage, the red and blue should have around 12.8 volts when you are plugged in, SO you would use the white for ground to red then blue to see if you have around 12.8 for voltage if they do not then the converter is at fault and would need to be replaced, the blue should be going to the fuse block so you want to check that connection. Click HERE for a manual, it should help, it is a PDF and will take a few seconds to download. Robert

Can come back to u tomorrow for same subject? It's dark and raining now and will have to test convertor tomorrow. I will down load manual.

OK

Sure, I will be out most of the day tomorrow but will respond when I can. I am around daily and always respond when I can.

Robert

HI.... was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic