RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The elect to my motorhome is coming to the breakerpanel

Customer Question
messed up I get 120...
The elect to my motorhome is coming to the breakerpanel messed up I get 120 when I go from wh to ground or black to ground but nothing when I go wh to black it ok at the plug rec where it's wired to the generator it's a 2004 terra buy fleetwood the converter went out replaced it a week ago everthing was ok getting ready to go so I pluged a small elect heater in over night an it was ok at 1 to day now it's messed up
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
2/11/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

You may have melted the wiring inside the plug on the cord. Take a look at it and see if there is discoloration around the prongs or the rubber looks like it may have slightly melted around them. IF SO, you will need to cut that one off and install a new plug. Camco makes some good ones for this. It might be inside the panel, but that would be rare. Avoid electric heaters as they tend to damage the cord from pulling too much amperage! Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Cords test ok got elect to the junction box where the cord connects to the coach

How did you test the cord? You would have to disconnect it from the load center and ohm out the leads to be sure none were melted together. Is that what you did?

Had a friend who's does electrical work check cord it's ok ohm it out check coach all rec are good so it's some where after it goes to the generator area where not shore how it's wired there
There's a orange 10 gage where going to breaker panel where not shore where it originates at

It might be in the transfer switch..........that is where the genset supply comes together with the shore cord. So what isn't working now? Or is it just that you have 120 VAC in the ground lead? It appears that you don't have a good connection on the white neutral lead. Did you check that in the load center where it attaches to the neutral bar?

Or perhaps you developed a problem at the power source..........check that.

Ys checked an tighten ever thing this all started because I am leaving for Florida tomorrow morning so iam leaving the motorhome an stay with friends I'll be working on it when I get back

O.K.........get back to me when you get back.

Ok will due thank you

You are welcome........