RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Furnace motor will not come on. Furnace is about 1 year old.

Customer Question
Furnace motor will not...

Furnace motor will not come on. Furnace is about 1 year old. Atwood 8535 IV DCLP. Was working fine, woke up one morning and was off. Would not come back on. Bought a new carrier remote thermostat. Nothing. Tested positive at furnace, light on tester comes on. Turn the furnace on with the remote, green light on roof unit comes on, blower will not come on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I don't know what else to send you

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/3/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

The first thing to check is if you are getting power TO the furnace. Do you have a removable panel over the exhaust and intake or not. Many newer units don't, and that limits the access to the control board. These newer control boards have been very unreliable and I never use them for that reason. The fan relay goes bad and won't turn on the motor. So check to be sure the fuse is good in the load center for the furnace and let me know about the access panel. IF you don't have one, the furnace has to be pulled out from the inside to get to the board and that is more work. Then the furnace can be bench tested while it is out and be sure everything is working properly. IF the board is the issue, I would go with an after market product made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are far superior to the OEM boards and have an outstanding warranty should you ever need it. Get back to me and let me know about the access and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee. This may still be under warranty so keep that in mind as well.

I have the furnace out. The pc board is easy to get to. I just installed this furnace (new)last spring. Before removing furnace, tested + connection with a 12V tester. Light came on. Have no issues with 12V lights, etc.
All fuses are good.

The light may come on, but still not have over 12 VDC, so testing it with an actual meter would be best. About $20 or so at most hardware stores. You can remove the control board and take it into a shop to be tested. Have the receipt for your purchase if you think it is still under warranty. Even then, I would consider replacing it with a Dinosaur board just so you know it won't happen again. Take this out is time consuming in most cases.

I am adding a link to the Atwood manual which covers this model. Print it out so you have a copy. Great information in there. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

I'll have the board tested

Keep in mind that isn't always conclusive for some portions of the board, but it is for the fan relay. Get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this.