RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Battery Connections 1981 Tradewind motorhome

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

This can be a very difficult question as there are probably no prints around for this. Are you trying to hook up the house battery or starting battery? How many batteries do you have for the house side and are they 6 volt or 12 volt?

Robert

There are two house batteries and one Starting battery but they are missing

OK

I can give you some ideas, below is a print of how the two 6 volt or 12 volt batteries will get hooked up, they will be the larger cables, if a cable or wire is going to a fuse, breaker or solenoid it is going to be positive, if the cable is going to ground then it is going to be negative, two series 27 12 volt deep cycle batteries should work for the interior batteries, the starting battery might tie in with the house batteries if you have a switch on the dash, the switch is used to tie the batteries together in case the engine does not start, sometimes the batteries can be tied together with a solenoid. Check the print out below and see if you can id the main cables and then go from there. IF you have a volt meter you might be able to check the cables for continuity to chassis ground, if they have continuity the are negative. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Looks Like we need to start over it is a Southwind Motorhome 1981 454 Motor three batteries on start two home just need to connect the three

I can look and see if there is any info available normally you would have 2 house batteries tied together like the print I sent, the chassis battery is independent of the other two unless they are using a cable to tie them together for the boost switch if you have one. One cable would be running from the positive of each battery to opposite sides of the solenoid. The only way with out a print is to trace the wires and see where they are going as I said if they have a fuse, breaker or solenoid they are going to the positive side. IF they are going to the chassis they are neg.

For the house batteries you would have a wire coming from the converter that would be the main positive. For the engine battery you should have a cable coming from the alternator, that would be the main positive for that battery.

I am sorry I do not have a print on this, I know it would make it easier but getting any kind of info from 1981 can be difficult. I am going to check one source and if I find anyhting I will let you know. Also if you want to try another expert please let me know.... Robert

OK

Click HERE and see page 23 that should give you an idea of how the cables are going, it looks like from the factory they only had one starting and on house battery, the second battery would be wired in.... Hope this helps... Robert

I sent you a link of the owners manual, page 23 should show you how the cables are run.

IF you would like to try another expert on this please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert