RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2014 newmar dutch star 4018 and have parked it

Customer Question
for 2 months. All batteries...
I have a 2014 newmar dutch star 4018 and have parked it for 2 months. All batteries are dead. I started my generator and also plugged in the 110 circuit to charge the 8 batteries. The Inverter is not recognizing either source. The main switch in the fuse box is turned on as well as the switch for the inverter. Why is it not charging the house batteries? Everything was working when I parked it.
Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
1/31/2016
RV Mechanic: Wayne, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Wayne, RV Mechanic

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

it may be that the batteries are so drained/Dead,

you will need to hook up a portable battery charge to the batteries

hook it to the center battery , it is going to take awhile

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I think you need to have the batteries checked to be sure that they are still viable and have them cleaned, load tested and all the terminals cleaned. IF these are over 3 years old there is a good chance they aren't going to be good OR if they have frozen then they will be ruined. Charging 8 batteries that size would tax any charger as this would take a long time with most portable chargers. Even then, you would want to hook up the cables to the SAME terminals that the cables to your RV are hooked up to......so at least they are all getting an equal charge. Picking one out won't work well. IF you do take them out for testing and charging, be sure you take a photo or two so you get the cables hooked up again properly. I will make a phone chat offer for you as well as some customers prefer this method. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Once you know that the batteries are good and the cables cleaned, especially the ground lead to the chassis, we can proceed to test the charging circuit to be sure it is functioning correctly. That is all covered in our fee as a follow up.

Morning

you will not burn out the portable charger

we did this all the time

and yes it will take a good 6-8 hrs to charge them

let me know if you have more questions, I will be glad to help you

I would still recommend you find out if they will even hold a charge FIRST. They may have a dead cell that is draining all of them OR they may have frozen when discharged and they won't take a charge. This may be much easier to do over the phone and there is not limit as to the time or number of calls and it is much cheaper than going to a shop as I am sure you realize. Most portable chargers will take days to charge that many batteries and then may not be able to FULLY charge them.

Morning

Portable charger at 20 amps, won't take days

I can see this is getting confusing to you , and I am sorry

I started with you, then another jumped in, I have no control over that

Have a good day, and hope the issue turns out good for you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

I do agree that sometimes there is an honest difference of opinion of how to resolve any particular issue. I would just ask that you consider each person's qualifications and take a look at our feedback from prior customers in order to help determine the best course of action. Also consider that I have had a successful RV repair business for a number of years and deal with issue personally on a daily basis. Thanks!

Hi Just following up with you

Did my answer help you

Let me know , Please

I do live off grid and have a lot of larger batteries to keep charged up, so I do understand how long this takes and how much battery temperatures enter into this. The colder they are the more voltage it takes to fully charge them up. If you still need some help once you get these checked out, please get back to me.

Hi I'm Wayne

Just following up with you

Opinions, are as that of The President election

I hope you are happy with my Answer,

seems this Person, wants to run for a race

I am not here to do that , I am here to help you

Please remember to rate my answer, as that is how I get credit for answer

It seems like this has gotten out of hand here, so I will ask them to give you a complete refund.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification