RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Onan 7000 series generator that keeps shutting…

Customer Question
I have an Onan 7000...
I have an Onan 7000 series generator that keeps shutting down with error code 58. The exhaust was slightly bent so I had it straightened. I also had the exhaust temp sensor replaced. It still shuts down at random times, even unloaded. What else could be causing this problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
1/26/2016
RV Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the engine is running lean this can cause the exhaust temp to heat up and cause this issue here.I would have the fuel system tested to see if this is a lean issue with a lack of fuel or to much air entering the generator engine to see if this is the cause here.I have also in some cases seen partially restricted exhaust cause this as well with the exhaust needing replaced.

These need checked into to see if any of these are found to be the cause for the high exhaust temp code here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician