RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I'm ***** *****, own a 2006 Georgetown RV, and the 12 v

Customer Question
Hello I'm ***** *****...

Hello I'm ***** *****, own a 2006 Georgetown RV, and the 12 v power is not working correctly. I am plugged into a 50 AMP plug and my batteries are good, but the lights go dim and then back to bright, heater blower works normal then it slows down and then back to normal. Is it possible that the power convert is bad?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The cabin lights go from normal brightness then they dim for a little bit then back tom normal brightness. The blower for the heater works normal then it slows down at the same time the lights go dim. Is it my converter going bad?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
1/20/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

It can be, but the more probable cause is that the batteries are failing. I would start by having them load tested to be sure. You can easily test the converter with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for around $20 or so. The converter should be putting out about 13.7 VDC and you can usually check that at the fuse panel. If you can give me the make and model of your load center I can add more here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Just checking back in to see how this is going? Were you able to get the batteries load tested? Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into the problem here. Thanks!