RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My norcold n611 refrigerator does not work in th AC auto…

My norcold n611 refrigerator does...
My norcold n611 refrigerator does not work in th AC auto mode. I tried resetting the power board and it did not fix the problem. I installed a new power board that also did not fix the problem. I supplied 120 to the electric heating element and it worked. I hear a click click click and see the meter needle jump to 120 every few seconds matching the sequence of the clicks. The clicking noise was the same on the original power board. My refrigerator is a 2008 and has the new style power board. Any suggestions
1/18/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

That sounds like it may either be a defective element that is partially grounding out OR a problem with the incoming AC feed. That can be a bad plug, a bad AC service breaker or problem in the cord. Do all the other AC uses work well? I am adding a link to the Norcold Service Manual for this model. See the trouble shooting section for AC heaters. Doubtful that a new board would have an issue. I don't use OEM boards and would rather use an after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics as they are made in the USA and far more reliable. Ohm out the element and see what it reads. Then do each lead to a good ground and you don't want to see any reading then. Let me know what you find. And try hooking up the fridge to an outside AC source to eliminate the cord or breaker as a proximate cause here. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

Just checking back to see if you were able to track down the problem using the manual link or do we need to dig deeper into this? Thanks!

ordered a new heating element should be here tomorrow

Great! Please get back to me if you need more help once you get that installed. Thanks for getting back to me.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I finally got the the electric heating element . I looks like I just slide the old one out and slide the new one in its
place. Is there any trick to it?

No...........just open up that small "door" on the stack and wiggle the element back and forth as you pull up on it. It should slide out and then insert the new one. No polarity on the leads. Just be sure to get them back in the same places.

Let me see a photo of the wiring hooked up. Double check it against the manual as it is easy to get things wrong. Check the polarity on the power leads and the gas valve leads. Be sure you have the element leads on correctly.

And is that a burned spot on the control board by one of the element leads?

They are, the picture is of my old board which I accidentally shorted out when trying to test the voltage at the leads.

Let me see a photo of all the leads hooked up.....

All leads are hooked up was per wiring diagram on unit. See photo. The clicking is now coming from what I think is a relay (pointed out by pencil) when in auto mode and then the clicks come from the relay next to it in the gas mode. There are three of these relays maker K2, K4, and K5. I think that they are all part temperature circuit. Could the problem be from sensor?

Any chance that the AC polarity on your incoming feed is backwards?

At the source?

Not at the source

Start unplugging the leads one at a time until it stops. If no change, then plug them back in. Start with the heating element. Let me know what happens.

Are you plugged into the house? Was that polarity at the plug ever checked?

It stops when unplug either of the red limit leads. It also stops when you open the refrigerator door and starts clicking again when I unplug the sensor in the refrigerator with the door open.

Leave the limit leads off and try it.........will the fridge come on or not? Any error messages?

5 flashes is a "no cool" code and the board would have to be reset. I am adding a link to that instruction. Print it out so you have it. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/newreset.pdf

Five flash error code both auto and gas mode

Do a reset on the board as per that last attachment.........

Did not get the attachment with reset procedure
Would not reset until I plugged in the limit wires. Finally got it to reset, came on in gas mode, plugged in ac gas went off no clicking or fault code. Wait and see with fingers crossed

Let me know what happens............

It work fine when plugged in directly to house circuit. Doesn't work plugged into motor home circuit.

Then I would check that out and find out why. It may have a bad connection in there.