RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2006 Holiday Rambler that we need help with an…

Hello, We have a 2006...
Hello, We have a 2006 Holiday Rambler that we need help with an electrical problem as soon as possible. We have no shore power at the moment. We were trying to bring the jacks up to reposition them and had the generator running but it was showing low voltage so we tried to start it and then everything went dead. Please help.
Is anyone there?Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.We have no power to the control board. Tried unplugging and switching all of the breakers. Still nothing.
1/17/2016
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

Do you have a volt meter? DO you have AC power inside the RV? IS the microwave or the outlets working? When you plug in the inverter will use the AC voltage to charge the batteries so it is possible to have the AC power but not the DC power, real quick find the inverter and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped on it, most inverters will have two breakers on them...... Robert

The microwave works and the outlets do too. We'll check the inverter breakers.

OK

I think that is going to be KEY you have the AC power but not the DC power. IT is also possible the batteries are discharged and the inverter can not charge them. Also do you have a disconnect switch inside near the entry door? IF the battery voltage IS GOOD at the batteries then it could be something else, that is why I asked if you had a meter.....

Robert

IF you want to do a phone service I can, but there is an additional fee for that... Robert

IF the battery voltage is good at the batteries and you have a disconnect switch inside hit the switch and listen for a click on the outside, that would be the solenoid if you do not hear the click follow the house battery cables to the solenoid, on the solenoid you will have two LARGE posts, on cable should be hot as it comes right from the battery. IF the other side does not have voltage get an insulated wire and jump the LARGE posts and see if your power comes on, if so bad solenoid..... Really depends on what the voltage is at the battery on which way to diagnose, I am waiting for the payment to clear and I will call.... Robert

It appears to not be letting me make the call but sometimes it takes a few mins..... The customer’s payment didn’t clear. Wait and refresh the page to try again. You may want to alert the customer there’s an issue with their payment method.

I will try again shortly.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Phone call session started
Please try the payment again. I had to move some money.
Hi Robert, Are you available to help us with this same problem? We just changed the solenoid and do have power running through it, but for some reason we still do not have any dc power in the coach. Please help.
Deb Dudley
It's working! :) Bad connection on a battery. One of the cable has been taped and I think that was it. We just wriggled things around and it came on. Jeez. One more day. Thanks so much, again Robert! If all goes well, we may not talk again for a while.

Glad I could help and thanks for the update, I would have been thinking for the next week what the issue was, do not like feeling defeated.... So good luck with your new RV and let me know if you ever have any questions on that. It was a pleasure to work with you guys, some owners are not so patient!

Thanks again. Robert