Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Model RMD8551 MES Dometic Frige On 12 volt, car charging OK

Customer Question

Model RMD8551 MES Dometic Frige
On 12 volt, car charging OK with 2 x 100 A/h batteries, voltage drops to 10 volts in less then an Hour.
Has gone down to 8-10 volt then switches on/off.
Seems like unit is drawing excessive current
Bill
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If you are running it on just 12 VDC then that isn't unusual...........but, to be sure I would have the batteries load tested to be sure one or both aren't failing or have an internal short. Even new batteries fail quite frequently. A 12 VDC heating element on this is probably in excess of 300 watts and you can do the math and see how fast that would draw them down. I would install some adequate solar panels so that the batteries are kept at a level to keep the DC voltage over 11 VDC which is about the minimum you need to keep this running. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.