RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I need to know the EXACT routing of the city water

connection piping in my 2006...
I need to know the EXACT routing of the city water connection piping in my 2006 Forest River Lexington RV. The pipe froze between the water hose attachment on the outside of the RV and 'somewhere inside the RV. When using the internal water rank pump water flows to all faucets EXCEPT to the hot water valve in the shower. Cold water ok, water flows to all fixtures except I cant pump antifreeze into the outside city water connection, nor can I get water to flow from the hot water valve in the shower. What is the routing of the city water pipe connection to where it meets the shower hot water hose? The hot water tank gets water so does the vanity and the kitchen sink.
1/6/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 6 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

The only place you can get those diagrams (hopefully) if from either a Forest River dealer OR Forest River Customer Service (which has about the worst record out there) so don't hold your breath there. If those don't yeild some results, you might enlist the services of a good mobile tech to come and assist you. Most of these are plumbed about the same way and with that knowledge he (or she) might be able to help you track this down. These aren't available online like some brands, but I didn't want you sitting there wondering why you didn't get an answer to your question. I have a shop and we have to track these down the same way when no diagrams exist. Most of the time, the lines are visible from some point. Hope this helps some. Sorry that news wasn't what you were hoping to hear. Please get back to me if you need more input on this.

Well I knew already that calling Forest River was likely to be futile. I had already looked online for piping diagrams and found schematics, rather than a piping layout diagram which is what I need. I need to know if that pipe runs UNDER the rv or inside an outside wall or both. Looking underneath shows black carbon cloth which I am not about to rip open.

The walls are full of foam insulation I can't rip open the wall looking for a pipe without knowing its routing. I will have to wait until the weather moderates and let it thaw. Do you know if the pex line is LIKELY to have

split? I left all faucets open to minimize any pressure build up. So you reinforced what I suspected, but could not provide the answer I opened the just answer case for.

I can tell you there are no lines inside the walls. And the lines themselves are capable of withstanding freezing and will expand. That leaves the fittings as the most probable cause. The freeze and break. So you want to look at the terminus of the lines. It would be where a line tees off. Most of the time there are going to be visible. As best as I can recall as it has been some time since I had to work on any Lexington plumbing, they are above the floor line. So look at the line itself in the area you suspect. That should be visible from some place. You might have to remove a wall partition in one of the holds or remove some drawers depending on what is in that location. It can be difficult as many of these things are installed before the walls go up. Engineers never think anything will ever break! Some really dumb things they do on this sort of thing. If you can attach a photo or two of the areas you suspect I might be able to make some additional suggestions here.

I would think part of the line would have to run from the outside city water hose connection down inside the outside wall till it could do a 90 and go under the floor. I opened up the screw cover under the shower pan and that line does not have antfreeze in it so I know its in the feozen circuit. I ran a small fan under the pan for hours with 90 deg air which did not unfreeze the frozen part of the line. I suspect its frozen under rhe floor above the carbon cloth. I dont know if the line is accessable from right under the carbon cloth or it between the inside floor and a subfloor under it. I am likely to do far less damage to just wait for the line to thaw hopfully Sunday when temperatures moderate. Then try and pump rv antfreeze into it from the city water connection. in the antifreeze goes in and there are no leaks I will be all set. If there are leaks I will have to perhaps put a new screw cover(s) over any holes Inmay have

to make.

I have been using a heated water supply hose which works great! 150 bucks for the hose it did not freeze. I was a bit slow winterizing that cold day, I was suspect if would freeze between the outside connection and inside the camper. my own fault. down to 25 deg did not have any problems, but when it dipped tp 10 deg it frooze quicly, my bad. lesson learned. :)

No.........it comes straight into the interior. And you might get lucky and have nothing broken. Try turning up the furnace inside and leave it on. That would help. Bookmark this and you can come back to it again any time later.

I put an oil filled radiator in the bathroom with a small fan blowing thru the deck plate under the shower pan. Closed the b room door. Tirned heat up in camper to 75, waited an hour. Then with my 12 volt pump one hose end of which I put in rv antifreeze, and the pump output to the city water connection and..... the antifreeze flowed in and came out the shower hot water head. YES unfrozen! Then I hooked up my air compressor to the city water connection set to 70 Psi and blew comp air through the system with faucets shut. Shut off air and air press held for a half hour. NO LEAKS!

So am all set. It will stay winterized till spring. I disagreevon that city water pipe routing. Because I did carefull measuring and directly opposite the entrybpoint IN side the camper is the inside wall which is maybr 4,inches thick. That pipe has to make a right angled turn and wither horizontally follow the wall inside the wall, or fondown under the camper and come back upnthru the floor.

In any case jts fixed. Thanks for the help. Close the issue.

Great! Thanks for letting me know........and you are welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification