RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

My furnace was acting up, so I replaced it. Now, it won't

Customer Question
cycle with the thermostat. What...
My furnace was acting up, so I replaced it. Now, it won't cycle with the thermostat. What can be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
1/3/2016
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Did you replace it with the same make and model? I hope you kept the old one as the problem may have been very minor and easily repaired. What is the make and style of your thermostat? Analog or digital? When you turn it on and ask for heat, does the motor come on or nothing happens? Please explain in detail so I know how to direct you here. All follow ups are included in our fee. I will also make a phone chat option available for you if you feed that would be faster and more helpful.

It's the same furnace, but went to a digital thermostat. The heat come on and works fine, but will not cycle on again. We can turn it off and back on, it will heat. The heat will cycle a few times by it's self, once in awhile.

Try reversing the leads at the thermostat...............some won't work if reversed and so this.

What happened to the old furnace?

Still got the old one. I reversed the leads and the furnace did not change. It heats fine, but will not cycle back on.

Were the leads you reversed from the furnace? You won't want to reverse the power lead and the negative feed. What is the make of the new themostat?

It's a Honeywell thermostat, RTH2300/RTH221 Series

See the attached link and tell me if this is the wiring for yours and how you hooked it up. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=honeywell+rth2300+wiring+diagram&id=6B32A2D7D78E09399FDE38DBBCF52D431D82DCE0&FORM=IQFRBA

See this photo here........and tell me if this is how you hooked it up. http://cdn.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11672&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1395785831

Forget that last photo...........wrong thermostat!

What was the make of the thermostat you removed with the old furnace? If it was an RV Products (Coleman) thermostat, what was the part number off it? You can see it on the back or when you remove the cover. That would help here.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification