RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

, How to change engine coolant in my WINNEBAGO TOUR…

***** ***** Mechanic's...

***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

How to change engine coolant in my WINNEBAGO TOUR 40FD with Cummins ISL 8.9L

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/24/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

Want to cover some items first. Normally you would use a Fleetguard test strip or refractometer to test the coolant. IF the SCA levels are not correct then you can add an additive to bring that back. IF the freeze point is not at the proper level then the coolant should be replaced. Below is some info for you to look at for the type of coolant and it explains the SCA. Some RV'S will have a coolant filter on the side of the engine block, there is a valve on top of the housing that you shut before you remove the valve, on others there is no filter and you have to add the additive. So one type the coolant filter provides the additives, that filter is almost always drivers side mid engine you have to look up from the bottom to see the filter.

The last Cummins shop we would just drain the radiator at the bottom hose it gets most of it out, then add coolant run the engine so the T-stat opens up and then top off. I would say it is going to take between 10 and 12 gallons... Hope this helps... Robert

Click HERE for the coolant maintenance information.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included.

Have a Safe and Happy Holidays. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic