RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

No 12v in coach. Lights, heat, ect.

Customer Question
No 12v in coach. Lights, heat, ect.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
12/22/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Did you check the battery disconnect switch? Are you plugged into shore power or not?

we are plugged in. 50 a service. Remote in coach that shows Ac power dark. Not sure where batt disconnect switch is?

Usually by the entry door or on the overhead. Two switches on a bronze bezel. Usually Intellitec on the plate. One is for the coach batteries and one is for the chassis batteries. Check the main breakers in the pedestal to be sure they aren't tripped. Did you try the genset? Has this been working fine up to now? Please elaborate some on the circumstances here.

Replaced batteries 2 weeks ago. Coach. Had trouble. Ended up one wire wrong position. Moved and everything worked fine. Just walked out to unit and it's working ? When I cut in heater and fan came on lights flicker. Many a sign of low bat voltage. ?
Dam auto spell. Sorry

Could be, if you aren't plugged into shore power OR if your charging circuit isn't working well. If you have a small digital multimeter we can take some readings and see.

I do and we can!

Set your meter on DC volts and take a reading on the house batteries AT the connections TO the coach. You should see about 13.8 VDC or close.

Ok

Let me know what you find...........and I will make a phone chat option available for you if you think that might be easier to follow.

12.7 vdc

Not good..........do you have an inverter/charger or just a converter? If the former, check to see if it is on and hit the reset.

Coach is off again

Perhaps you are having problems with the transfer switch.........or do you mean just the DC portion?

Reset magnum unit. Still no lights. Green indicator light comes on then blinks as advertised.
Just dc

It sounds like you are having problems at the automatic transfer switch. What happens when you run the genset?

Haven't tried but will

10-4

Gen set won't start. Tried aux battery switch in console , can here starter solenoid clicking like week batt
On gen set

Sounds like the AC issue needs to be resolved and then check the charging. Can you access the main disconnect breakers in your load center to see if you have AC power there?

I can cut off all ac breakers if that's what you mean

I mean access so you can test for AC power INTO them from the transfer switch with your meter?

I'll need to pull panel cover off. Will that allow access.

Yes........set your meter for AC volts and see what you have.

Ok. Stand by

I'm here.........

Ground the negative lead to the busbar for the grounds or the neutrals.

Ok taken cover off. Main breaker shows 121 V on both load sides.

Can you get to the feeds into the inverter? And put some load on both sides and take another reading. Turn something on as you can have a good voltage reading with no load, but if there is a problem you might not see it. And I am wondering about the pedestal. Is this an older one?

Please explain pedestal ?

Where the shore cord is plugged in. Older ones can have issues with the prongs getting burned and then opening up under load. I have seen this in older parks........or are you at home?

At home. New plug.

No adapters on the cord? Hooked up to a 50 amp dedicated plug?

Did you check the inverter to see if it shows it is on and not having any breakers tripped?

I installed this converter under warranty. The incoming power internally wired would be hard to test.

Tripped on the inverter..........

What is the make and model?

No pop out fuses out.
07 Fleetwood , Providence 40 x

I don't understand that statement...........what is the make and model of the inverter?

A Magnum unit? Which one? Is it one or not?

On or not? Remote? Does it show it being on?

Inverter is a Magnam ME 2000

Is it on or not?

Do you have the manual for it?

Remote not on.

Did you try turning it on?

I suspect it was damaged when you got the battery cables hooked up wrong and that is why it is erratic and not charging the batteries. It can be checked and rebuilt if needed. When you hook up the batteries wrong you can damage all kinds of components. You might get a good mobile tech to come to your location for some testing.

You might try a reset...........check the manual or how that is done. That might solve this. IF NOT, you probably need to have it checked.

Attached is the manual for this if you don't have it handy............. https://www.fgc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fleetwood-magnum-inverter.pdf

See page 33 for the trouble shooting...........

You want to come

I live in California............ The batteries may be too low for operation. You may have to have them charged up and load tested before you can get this to perform.

I just cut on aux battery switch and all lights came on?

I think that was the first question I asked here..............

The batteries still need to be checked and charged. IF the inverter won't come on and do that you will have to get a stand alone charger or take them into a shop to be charged.

Does the aux battery in the on position connect engen batteries to house batt

Only if it is the "Auxiliary start" switch and that is a rocker switch and only stays engaged as long as you hold it down. The battery disconnect switch is the same way, but the solenoid stays in the position you call for. You might want to have a mobile tech come over and give you a quick course on how everything here works.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some assistance here?

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification