Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have my camper hooked up to an gfci outlet. it keeps

Customer Question

i have my camper hooked up to an gfci outlet. it keeps kicking off when i reset it and as quick as i plug in it kicks off again. i winterized my camper about three weeks ago and bypassed the water heater. I discovered that my electric switch to the water heater was accidentally left on. all of my breakers and fuses are good in the camper. Could a burned out water heater element be causing it and if so where is the element on a mpd91818 be located so I can replace it.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

Do you have a breaker in the main breaker panel inside for the water heater? I would turn ALL your breakers OFF and then plug in and turn the breakers on one at a time. Most water heater will have a dedicated breaker in the panel. IF the GFCI trips when you turn the breaker on for the water heater then good bet it is the cause. IF not then you are going to have to eliminate items, for an example if you are using a dog bone or an adapter with an extension cord they can cause issues. If the batteries were in poor condition then the converter might want to over charge and pull to many amps and trip the breaker. IF the water heater element Switch was ON with no water in it and the RV was plugged in then good chance the element is burnt up. Click HERE and you will be able to see where the element is located, it is on the back side if the water heater SO opposite of the outside access panel, many times you have to remove something inside the rv such as a panel, false wall or drawer to get at the back of the water heater, the manual should help id that and give you some part numbers on that.

So knowing what has happened, I might start by changing the element, looking at or trying new cords and adapters if they are being used and then I would check the battery have it load tested and make sure all the cables are clean and tight. I also might check the polarity of the supply source you are using to make sure it is good as well, just a few more ideas on this if it is not the element. I have seen that happen many times when the switch is left on it will create a dead short and trip the supply breaker... Hope this helps some... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns, follow ups are included. Once you are satisfied please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi I was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, please let me know if you have more questions or concerns..

Have a Safe and Happy Holidays.... Robert