RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have the WF 8955AN W/Plastic converter that pops the GEN…

***** *****. I have...

***** *****. I have the WF 8955AN W/Plastic converter that pops the GEN 15 amp breaker whenever I plug the camper into 110. The only items that have power are the microwave, (1) wall outlet by the microwave, and the GFI outlet in the bathroom. The 12V battery is dead but leaving the system hooked to the battery and not 110 the breaker is OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The breaker in question is a 15 amp that is pigtailed into the convertor and is the only one that pops when I plug the camper into 110.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

I'll wait

12/14/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert......

So when you plug into 110 the breaker trips and you have NO DC power at all?

Also you say when the battery is hooked up it does not trip the breaker but when you do unhook the battery the breaker trips?

This might take some going back and forth, follow ups are included... Robert

Also are you using an adapters or extension cords on the main cord, or does this happen plugged in direct with NO cords or adapters?

Robert

The breaker does not pop until I plug into 110 power. Hooked up, or not hooked up to the dead battery there is no problem as long as the 110 is unplugged. When plugged into the 110 I have power to the microwave, 1 outlet by the microwave, and the GFI outlet in the bathroom. Everything else is dead. I have the camper plugged into the 110 outlet using the power cord provided with the camper.

OK

Click HERE for some troubleshooting on the converter. The power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage. Follow the troubleshooting and see if the converter is the issue. I can say that the battery really should be hooked up as it acts as a filter for the DC side and if it is not hooked up then the power converter would want to throw a heavy charge at the battery and would pull more amps. I might try a new battery if possible and see what happens. I might also try another supply source if you have not done so or get a polarity checker that will plug into the plugs, that will tell you if you have a wiring issue or not. When you unplug from 110 the converter switches to battery power only. IF the converter checks out good then I would be seeing what is on that breaker for the AC side, sometimes a burnt out heating element could cause issue, sometimes see that with the water heater or fridge. Robert

Also so I have a better idea what is the year, make and model of the camper? And what power source are you plugged into 30 or 50 amp. Just want to be sure you are not using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord because they can cause issues sometimes. Robert

The camper is a Palimono Puma, not sure about the year, maybe 2007, and it is a 30 amp.

OK....

IF you shut all the breakers off and then turn the one GEN on will it trip right away, I assume that is going to be a general breaker OR if you have a generator. DO you have a generator? Sorry these types of questions can take some going back and forth, trying to figure out what is on that breaker...

Robert

There is no generator, and turning off the other breakers has no effect as it will still pop as soon as it is plugged into the 110.
This breaker controls everything that would run by the 12 volt system alone.

OK

To me it sounds like the converter is the problem. I would start by checking the connections on the back side of that panel and see if you can do the troubleshooting, normally when a breaker trips like that, right away you have a dead short and if the converter is on that breaker then it could be the issue, they do fail. But it also could be a loose connection.....

Robert

That's kind of what I thought but was not 100% sure and I don't want to just start replacing things. Thanks for the help, but it will have to wait until the weekend before I can continue with it.

No problem, IF you need more help please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can. If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, you can still follow up if needed and I will try my best to help you if needed. Robert

You may here from me again this weekend, thanks.

10-4.....

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic