RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Randall,
, I have a Norcold 1200lrim that has the

Customer Question
Customer: HI Randall, JA: Thanks...
Customer: HI Randall,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Norcold 1200lrim that has the recall module on it. Just this week, when we have run the propane heater, the refrigerator will show error code DC Lo, and then the module will trip. All of the lights in the RV are dimmer after this happens. We are on shore power, and our power panel shows all green lights for all of the batteries and shore power. I have reset the module with a magnet. What should I look at as to the possible pow DC power? The house batteries are relatively new - April 2011, and we check them often - no corrosion, water levels are ok. We are full timers, so the RV stays plugged in. What are your suggestions?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
12/12/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

According to your posting and question the batteries are over 4 years old. Most won't go over 3 years. Start by having them load tested and clean the cables, including the leads to the chassis ground. A dirty ground can cause low voltage as well. Then we can look to the charging side once that part is resolved. Take a photo of the cables and hookups so you get them back the same way. All follow ups are included in our fee. I will make a phone chat option available for you in case you feel that would be more helpful here. I can supply a Service Manual in case you don't have one. No extra charge for this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do you load test the batteries?

Most places that sell them can do this for you. It takes a tester designed to put them under load and evaluate their performance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been thinking back to when the batteries were installed, and it was April of 2013. They seem to be holding a charge based on the indicators on the Xantrex power board. Would the battery life make a difference since we live full time in the RV? Can a mobile rv mechanic load test the batteries, or is this something that we need to take it to the shop (ugh!)?

Most mobile techs should have a load tester for batteries. It can be a bad connection, especially the ground lead and he (or she)can check that for you as well. Or you can clean them up and see if the problem resolves itself. It may be a loose or dirty connection AT the fridge as well. If you have a small digital multimeter we can take a reading AT the leads into the board and see. Do you have a Service Manual or not?

gene
gene
gene, RV Mechanic