RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

We are trying to plug in our 5th wheel to our outside plug

Customer Question
Customer: hello, we are trying...
Customer: hello, we are trying to plug in our 5th wheel to our outside plug on our house. It keeps tripping the cirucit breaker on the outlet. What to do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have an extension cord that is heavy duty 10 gauge, we are using the pigtail that came with the rv
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long? and how do I get a refund if it doesn't work?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
12/12/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert.....

To start are you trying to plug into a standard 110 outlet?

Robert

OK

You are going to be very hard pressed to run anything inside the 5th wheel on a standard 110 outlet. What I would do is go inside and shut all the breakers off and plug in and see if the circuit breaker trips, if so then it could be the cord or adapter, they do fail so if that is the case I would try a new adapter and cord, the shorter the better you can have line loss and items will start shutting down. IF the breaker does not trip turn on the breakers one at a time. Make sure the fridge, water heater are not running on AC power. Normally when you plug into a household outlet about the only thing you can run is the converter which will charge the battery and a few DC lights.

I would also get a polarity checker that will plug into your supply and it will tell you if there is a wiring issue at the outlet. Finally before going to a shop I would plug in with no extension cords or adapters and see if everything works normally if so then you might not be able to use it plugged into that 110 outlet. I know owners do it but you really have to watch what is turned on inside.

Also if the batteries were in poor condition the converter would want to charge all the time in bulk mode and that will pull a good amount of amps so I might also have the batteries load tested just to be sure, most auto parts stores will check them for free... Hope this gives you some ideas, IF you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Follow ups are included, if you need time to check things out that is fine. I am around daily and respond when I can....

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks, ***** ***** have read the same on other sites. We were told that if the correct plug was used , it would work!
is there any way to get a converter to 110 or another option other than having an electrian wire a post like a rv park?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We also tried the circut breaker option, they kept tripping.

If you want to do this properly then you can have an electrician wire in a supply for you so you do not have to use any cords or adapters. Sometimes using a standard outlet

will actually work but it is not recommended, in fact many manufacturers will mention it in the manual, it can cause to many issues and you would not be able to run anything on AC power such as the microwave, fridge, roof AC etc. Sometimes you can do that just so the converter is charging the battery. I highly recommend having a supply install to match the RV.

IF you do that and have someone wire in the 30 or 50 amp service they need to know on a 50 amp service it will have two incoming 110 legs to equal 220 NOT 220 direct, If you like I can send some info on that?

IF you cord has 3 prongs it is a 30 amp cord, if it has 4 then it is a 50 amp. Most 5th Wheels are set up for 50 amp.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic