RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I am in the market Lazy Daze RV and going to look at and

Customer Question
hello, I am in the...
hello, I am in the market for a Lazy Daze RV and going to look at and possibly purchase a 1990 mid-bath 26.5' model this weekend. I am not well versed in most automotive issues, especially in RV's. I plan to have a mechanic come along with me for an inspection but I wanted to reach out to someone here to help me to determine if thhis even sounds like a good deal on the surface. I feel like it is. In addition perhaps you can tell me the best way to evaluate the RV in person. Here are the details of the Lazy Daze I considering as per the owner;
1990 LazyDaze 27' Mid Bath Model 176"
Ford E350 460 ci V8
50 gallons fresh water capacity
40 gallons grey water
40 gallons black water (sewage)
Onan 4000 Generator
Solar Panel on roof powers auxiliary batteries
Full Kitchen with Microwave, 4 Burner Gas Stove with Oven
New Full Size Refrigerator/Freezer
Full Bath
King Size Bed in rear bedroom
Queen Bed over car
Twin Bed in dinette
TV/DVD player with 6 headphones
Swamp Cooler
Gas Operated Central Heat
A/C system Central
Hydraulic Stabilizing system
Trailer hitch
Retractable awning on passenger side of coach
Lots of storage and tinted windows that open up
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
11/22/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert.....

How many miles and do you need me to verify the price for you?

Robert

OK

My next reply will take a few mins as I have to look up the price and tell you what to look for....

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you, Robert.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The owner also indicates that the tires will need replacing soon, the in dash A/C does not work and the stereo speakers aren't working.

OK

That price they are asking is way to high. Average retail is around 6500K with all the items you mentioned. I would try to talk them down on this. Very good you are bringing a mechanic as he can inspect the engine and chassis. Make sure he drives the unit as well. The 460 is a good engine but does put off allot of heat and can have issues with vapor lock, make sure the exhaust manifold is not cracked and the gaskets are good. I would want to take it on a very long test drive. Also the only other knock is going to be the poor gas mileage, it will not get that great of mileage.

For the interior items get up on the roof and make sure the roof looks clean and there are no cracks or voids in the sealant, the last thing you want is a leaky roof, normally when they are really bad you will smell mold inside, I would stay away if that was the case. Also I would have the owner fill the fresh water tank and then run the water pump. In a cold climate the plumbing can have issues if it is not winterized properly. Make sure and start the generator and see if it transfers power inside.

This is a nice unit and looks good but seems to be overpriced according to the NADA price guide. I put in all the options and not even close to 9K.....

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...Robert

Got your last reply, that would just take more value out of the 6500 if the tires need to be replaced, the dash as not working and the stereo. Being honest I would not purchase this because of the price you can do better......

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thia is great information. thank you so much. I am still going to meet with the owner to check it out. I now have better knowledge to negotiate with her and if all else looks well I am thinking I'll offer her $5,500. does that sound fair?

IF it is in top shape and you really like it then yes...

IF you have more questions please let me know, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you, ***** ***** great information. I'm still unsure of the pricing, however. I just ran a blue book report from rvvaluesonline.com and that site gave me a quote of $9725. A big jump from $6500 and in line with the seller's asking price. I need to be certain of this RVs value before I meet with the owner. Why do you think those quotes are so far off?.here is the report I ran
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
take a look at this. same year. a bit different but the asking price is almost $12K. could the seller's $9K price point be fair? considering the tires, A/C and speakers would I be overpaying if I offered 7-8K?

OK

What I was looking at was the low retail, High retail on this I get close to 8500. SO it is not that far off, I also did not check off for the generator so that increased the value some. I would say if it needs the repairs and they are offering 9K I would make an offer of 8K and go from there...... I think they are at high retail value and for the repairs needed I would go 7500 or 8K and see what counter offer they come up with... Robert

Just following up with you to see if my answer helped or you have any other concerns...

Robert

Robert
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic