Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My hydro flame will not cycle, stays on constantly

Customer Question

my hydro flame will not cycle, stays on constantly
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's maybe a 1978 evertything else works it won't shut off at temperature
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That is usually a bad timed delay relay. It is supposed to allow the furnace to cycle and doesn't and keeps the motor running. It can also be a bad thermostat that won't allow the furnace to shut down when it reaches the set temp. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Hydroflame manual for you. Print out a copy or at least Bookmark it so you can come back to it again any time. See the section on the timed delay relay. This can be tested and I can direct you in that if you plan in fixing this yourself. All follow ups are included in our fee. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If you need more on this, please include the actual model number off your data plate so I know what you have here.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am adding the older version of the manual which covers the FA models which you may have. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hydroflameold2.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have an old pilot valve version as they work somewhat differently..........and I can tell you that parts for those are getting harder to find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my furnace is old
it's this one
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Boy..........I'll say! If this isn't the thermostat, I think you may have to consider upgrading to a newer version. I am pretty sure that there won't be any parts for that old a unit. Is this a heat only thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the thermostat and it only has heat but i'm sure it should cycle
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I think on that model it is the white knob......or do you have a wall thermostat someplace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there isn't a wall thermostat, i have to change that entire metal box?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps...........what setting is that white knob on? Isn't that adjustable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the white knob is adjustable from high to low, i keep it on low but the cabin is still cooking hot
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Then it isn't cycling and I don't think you can find a part for that, but perhaps take a look on E-bay as some older parts are available there. What is the actual model number off the data tag?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is this an RV model or perhaps is this a mobile home version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came out of my dads Apache royal, the model no. i have no idea. Its up at my cabin.
But it's the same one i sent the picture of.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It should have a tag on there that is visible where it says "Hydroflame" and model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it's at my cabin so i can't get that right now, does the dial thermostat unscrew from that metal box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
somebody mentioned a temp sending unit, does this furnace have one and if so where do i find it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
somebody mentioned a temp sending unit, does this furnace have one and if so where do i find it??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the dial thermostat unscrew from that metal box??
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It does, but doubtful it is the issue and I believe it is attached to the gas valve and not a separate part. I think you just need to upgrade to a newer unit.