Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2002 fleetwood discovery diesel. Driving is no

Customer Question

I have a 2002 fleetwood discovery diesel. Driving is no problem. Generator won't crank, slides, water pump or lights will not work. All batteries are good, 12.8 v on chassis and 13.4 v on coach. System does not respond to shore power. Inverter, green light
is on continuos when in invert mode but nothing works. Hooked up to shore power the inverter green lights blink as they should and battery charge green light stays on continuous. I have checked the 300 amp fuse between the batteries and the in veteran and
is good. I replaced the solenoid ( new) . I am not getting any power to anything inside the coach or the generator, although the shore power does work on the tv, vcr, coffee pot, microwave and 110v plugs. Can you help?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

This really sounds like the disconnect solenoid, when you hit that switch inside do you hear a click on the outside? IF you have good battery voltage at the batteries the DC power should go through that solenoid. DO you have a volt meter? IF so can you go to that solenoid and check the LARGE posts for voltage? You should have what you are seeing for voltage at the batteries. IF you only have voltage on one side jump the solenoid and see if your power comes back on, you might have more then one solenoid as well...... Follow ups are included, also if you need some time to go check that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have checked the voltage at the solenoid , which is new, and it is the same as the batteries 13.4 v.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Do you have voltage on each of the large posts? OR just to one side?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Go to the outside where the batteries are and look for the fuse box, look below the fuse box for a 135 amp breaker, click HERE and have a look, this might help out. IF you have the power through the disconnect it should be getting to that rear fuse box, make sure there are also no breakers tripped inside that box.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't find the battery fuse box only a battery control center with fuses inside. Also, there is voltage on both sides of the solenoid.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Did you look at the print I sent? The breaker box should be located outside Fwd of the inverter on the frame or wall. It is showing a 135 amp breaker below that breaker box, that was for a Freighliner chassis..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see it on the print but there is not one anywhere in the compartment or close proximity to the battery compartment. There is a breaker box for the coach under the bed inside, would that be it?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

It could be, SO I would look for a breaker and see if you have any power going to that box. Follow the cables from the solenoid and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped between the fuse box and the solenoid. The breaker would have two posts on it with a cable on each side. The voltage should be the same to ground on each post. I am not sure what is up with the print, unless this is a Spartan chassis, still I would try and check for voltage at your fuse boxes and look for any tripped breakers on this.... IF you need more help please let me know. Also my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is definitely a Freightliner chassis and I can't find any breakers other than the ones I mentioned.

Inside breakers are to control appliances and GFI plugs only. 50 amp main and related 10-20 amp service breakers.

Any more suggestions?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

IF you have the AC voltage which is everything you mentioned, but are missing the DC voltage but have voltage in and out of the disconnect solenoid there has to be a tripped breaker OR bad connection somewhere. When you plug in the inverter will charge the battery and from the battery the voltage will go to the solenoid and then out to the breaker boxes. Might want to get a hold of Fleetwood with your FIN and see if they can tell you location of any possible breakers.

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What's a FIN?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Inside somewhere on a sticker you should have a FIN number, it is the id number for the RV. IF you can not find that look next to the drivers seat on the wall for a sticker, the VIN should be on that and possibly the FIN I would get the VIN just in case..... It makes it easier having that but I am sure they can still help if you do not have it..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there someone else that toy can share this info with that could possibly help?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

There are other RV experts on this site that might be able to help out. I can not say if one will respond or when, they come and go daily. IF you want me to step out of the question for another expert please let me know. I am fairly confident that there is a breaker tripped or loose connection between the solenoid and the battery box. IF you have power out of the solenoid you should be seeing it inside...

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could it be the transfer switch inside the inverter? If so, how would I check?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

NO... You are missing the DC power. An inverter takes the AC power and charges the battery, once the battery charges the inverter is out of the picture, if you have 13.4 volts at the battery then you should be seeing the DC power inside. Not only that you have voltage at each side of the disconnect solenoid so you should be getting the power inside. IF you were missing the AC power then yes it could be an inverter issue. Hope this makes sense.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm grasping for straws so please excuse my inexperience, I have seen other forums where they made mention of a 1/4 amp fuse on a circuit board inside the inverter that may be bad. Any knowledge of this?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I know the inverter has a circuit board but once again if that fuse was the issue or an issue with the board I do not think the inverter would even turn on. I do not see how that would prevent the 12 volt dc power from getting inside, the charge cable will go to the battery through that fuse, from the battery the DC power goes to the disconnect and then the fuse boxes. I think if you follow the cable from the solenoid you are going to find the problem. I agree these are a challenge to work on and diagnose online, I am trying my best. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi...

Just checking in to see if you need more help on this.... Robert