gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Can't get our 2007 fleetwood westlake pop-up heater to come

Customer Question

can't get our 2007 fleetwood westlake pop-up heater to come on. All information seems to say make sure there is a flow of propane (there is - stove works fine) and then simply turn thermostat on and the unit should work. It doesn't. There doesn't seem to be a pilot at the heater itself and behind the panel is a switch that has two options ; Off and reset(????) not on . Any help or suggestions.
thanks, Dan ***@******.***)
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model of your furnace? Are you plugged into shore power or not? Please get back to me with this info and I can help you sort this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the heater is an Atwood, model 7916
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Are you plugged into shore power? IF NOT, are you sure that the battery(s) are fully charged? Is this a mechanical heat only thermostat? In other words, it doesn't control the A/C too? Did you turn on the "on-off" switch on the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not "plugged in" (a/c). the heater runs off of propane
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am attaching a copy of the Atwood Furnace Manual for you. Print out a copy or at least Bookmark it so you can come back to it again later. And if you aren't plugged into shore power, you need to be sure that the battery(s) are fully charged. What about the switch? Check that. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am fully aware of how this furnace works...........and shore power usually assures that you have good DC power for this to run, especially if the battery(s) are low.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Usually a small plastic lever on the bottom of the thermostat that is the "on-off" switch. If that isn't on the thermostat won't work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am charging the battery right now. I can plug -in but am preparing for "dry" camping without hook-ups and want to know that the heater works in that setting. I don't see anything on the thermostat except the temp setting lever. On the Atwood unit itself with the panel removed, there is a switch indicating "off" and "reset"
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Whose thermostat is this? And you won't run that furnace long dry camping.......especially if you only have one battery.