RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Randall I own a 2995 safari samba on GM chassis. Ive lost

Customer Question
Hello Randall I own a 2995...
Hello Randall
I own a 2995 safari samba on GM chassis. Ive lost the 12 volts on the red wire feeding my dc fuse panel. I have 13.6 volts at the inverter.13.4 volts at the batteries.i checked voltage across the circuit breaker at the batteries.I ran a jumper from the converter straight to the dc fuse panel disconnecting the red wire,and I had lights in the coach,but not all the dc was working,such as some dash components,and some of the lighting on the drivers side of unit. After a couple if days when the batteries finally drained. I took my jumper off and put the big red wire back on and then everything started working again. a few days later something tripped again. the big red wire going to the fuse panel is dead. I cannot find information on my unit to tell where all the dc reset breakers are located. by the way none of wires are warm, nor any fuses on the panel itself are blown. Can you help me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
11/14/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Two things come to mind here.............the first is that there is a shortstop breaker in that line feeding the fuse panel. It must be an auto reset version since it reset by itself. I am adding a link so you can see what they look like. It could be almost anywhere. The second thing is that there is something that is causing a direct short and drain on the batteries and opening up the breaker. Usually, you would hear a clicking sound as the breaker opens and closes. It may be a solenoid instead and the contacts are burned. Another thing to check would be the converter itself, especially if this has an older Magnetek unit that is the OEM box and hasn't been upgraded. Those had two charge feeds to the fuse panel. One is red and one is blue. I have seen just one side go out. The red side feeds the battery charging and several other circuits and the blue side is lower voltage...........usually about 12.5 VDC or so and feeds all the rest of the circuits. So where exactly did you hook up that jumper? And is your load center made by Magnetek? IF so, take a DC volts reading at both sides and see what you read. And interesting that despite you having the 13.6 VDC at the batteries, they were still drained later. Only a short or a converter not working all the time would do that. Those are my thoughts on this so far. Please get back to me and let me know what you find and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Once you accept the phone chat option I can furnish the contact info and you can call me. Or supply your phone number and I can call you instead.

Did you change your mind about a phone chat on this issue?

you were thorough. . but I knew what you were talking about... and had checked that circuit out...it wound up being the solenoid that cuts off the12 volts to the fuse panel.... all is good.... thanks for offering your services

So what switch controlled that solenoid? Are you talking about the battery disconnect solenoid? That is the only one between the batteries and the panel that I know of.

The battery cut off switch right at the door..... it controls the Trombetta solenoid... that shutdown the 12 volts inside the coach.... I jumped it out to see. and all DC power came up......replaced it....all good

O.K..............some models did have another solenoid in there. Not very common! Glad you got it worked out!

My other coach didn't have it either...just started wringing the red wire.... but thanks for responding...

you are welcome.............be safe!

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification