Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My 12 volt lights dim or go out when connected to ac

Customer Question

my 12 volt lights dim or go out when connected to ac
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV? What power source are you plugging into? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord or plugging in direct?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Most likely this is going to be the power converter, the power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, it should also charge the battery. Sometimes on the charge line to the battery they will install a breaker, some are thermal and self reset. Below is a picture, as a general rule they like to stick them about 18" from the battery, the voltage should be close on each post to chassis ground. The power converter can also be at fault. The power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone style can be under the fridge, stove, behind the breaker panel or even outside depending on the RV. IF you still need more help please get me the make and model of the converter. Follow ups are included, please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Breaker.