Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2002 FW Discovery MH. 4 weeks ago all was working

Customer Question

I have a 2002 FW Discovery MH. 4 weeks ago all was working fine. Now, nothing will work except the engine starts and runs fine. The coach is completely dead, generator won't start, lights won't come on, slides will not operate. No power to anything. I checked the voltage on each 6v house battery (4) and the range was 4.4-4.9 volts. This coach is diesel and employs the EMS system for electrical management. Also, nothing works when connected to shore power. Any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the disconnect solenoid switch to be sure that the batteries are "in the loop" and not disconnected? This is the most common problem we see when this happens. IF NOT, a small digital multimeter is helpful in tracking down the problem. IF these batteries are over 3 years old, there is a good chance that they may be ready for a change. Many systems in the coach won't perform when the DC voltage drops that low. Be sure that the cables are all clean at the batteries and also the ground lead to the chassis. Fleetwood coaches seem to be especially prone to dirty ground lead issues. Check those things and then get back to me if you still have a problem. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the batteries and cleaned all cable connections. Still nothing works. Where do I find the solenoid disconnect switch?
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, anyone home?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes............I am here, but work on more than one question at a time. The disconnect solenoid swtich is near the door or on the overhead. Usually two of them. One for the house batteries and one for the coach batteries. Brown bezel with two rocker switches and a light that come on red when the batteries are in use. Most say "use" and "store" and you want to click it to "use" for them to be in the loop. You should hear a distinctive click when you hit the switch from the relay. IF you still don't have power the solenoid can be checked to be sure the fuses aren't blown or that it may be defective. A small digital meter is good for this. Sounds like you have one.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the disconnect switch, John? Please let me know if we still need to dig deeper into the problem or if you got this resolved. Thanks!