Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Sir, what if there is not a separate 15 amp plug at the RV

Customer Question

Sir, what if there is not a separate 15 amp plug at the RV park? What are your thoughts on installing an separate 20 amps exclusively for the second A/C. No power is sent to anything else? Thank you for your time and support Very Respectfully ***** *****
Environmental Protection Specialist DLA Disposition Services Kandahar, Afghanistan DSN(###) ###-####Roshan:(###) ###-####**@******.***
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I saw the original posting sequence on this. Each A/C can draw over 20 amps by itself on a hot day and it gets hot where you are! You can upgrade the system you have for about $1,000 or so...........not over the $2,000 he mentioned. At least I do this in my shop for the first figure. You would be getting credit for your old parts as part of that. He did mention going to a spare circuit for the other A/C and that is doable, but still costs some money for materials and labor. IF you do that, you have to have at least 20 amps available and you could use the existing 30 amp receptacle with an adapter to get to a 20 amp rating and use your existing 30 amp cord in the 50 amp slot on the pedestal with an adapter to 30 amps. IF the pedestal ONLY has a 30 amp outlet which is hard to imagine any more, then this will be a problem. Most all of them today have a 30 and a 50 amp outlet. Hope that clarifies this some for you. Please get back to me if you need more explanation. I am also making a phone chat option available for you if you think that would be useful here.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I see you asked this again...........and I would just say the other two responses don't take several things into account. They don't mention you getting credit for your existing parts........and I never take them from my customers for free. And the second and more important..........have they ever done this upgrade? I have a shop and have. And lastly, it depends on what the shop is charging you per hour. I do like Robert's idea about getting some estimates as there are some shops that would not give you a square deal. Just a thought..........

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You could save some money with used parts. Lots of those out there.