RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My 8500-IV furnace sometimes does not light-fan comes on…

my 8500-IV furnace sometimes does...
my 8500-IV furnace sometimes does not light-fan comes on for several seconds then shuts down, usually won't try again until thermostat is turned down then back up
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert......

When this is happening do you hear it trying to spark OR just the fan comes on and then shuts down?

Thanks, Robert

I think i can hear a clickit has cycled 3 times since i contacted you and worked every time

OK

It is really important to know if the electrode is sparking, you would hear a single click from the gas valve and at the same time the electrode will start sparking, if it is sparking it could be a LP pressure issue, faulty circuit board or electrode. The way the furnace works is after the fan comes on it blows on a sail switch, when the sail switch closes it passes a signal to the circuit board, once the circuit board gets that signal it will then send voltage to the electrode and gas valve.

I just got your reply and now it is working? One thing that can cause intermittent issues is if the voltage was low, even a little. The blower would still come on but not fast enough to close the sail switch so you would never get ignition. SO at this point when this happens again I would check the battery voltage and make sure it is over 11.5 volts. IF you still have problems I would then remove the circuit board on the back of the furnace and have it tested, most RV shops have a special board tester and can tell if the board is good or not. After that I would have the LP pressure checked at the furnace it needs to be done with a manometer, if the pressure was low and other appliances are going it could cause a fault when the other systems are being used... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

If you would like I can do a phone request, there is an extra charge for that. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic