RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

While replacing pigtail from truck to freedom eite 5th wheel

Customer Question
I wrote down which wires...
while replacing pigtail from truck to freedom eite 5th wheel I wrote down which wires needed to be reconnected, but my diagram has the blue and green wires from the pigtail connecting to the fifth wheel white with green stripe wire. Have I made a mistake?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
11/6/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Yes.......the blue lead is for the brakes on the 5th wheel and should go to a blue wire in the box. Green is for lights off the pigtail on the truck. Usually, it will be green on the 5th wheel as well. You can take one of the taillight lenses off and check the wiring colors back there. White is ground, black is for the hot lead to the battery of the 5th wheel for charging, red is left turn, brown is right turn and yellow is for backup lights. Those are the remaining colors of the 7 in the cord. IF you aren't sure, attach a photo of the wiring in the 5th wheel J-box to your post or give me the number and colors of those leads and how you hooked them up. Camping World just wanted you to have to come down there to them! They have a bad reputation for the most part for service. I will be out for some time this morning, so be patient about me getting back to you. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Most of the wire are conforming with standard practices. red to red, black to black, brown to brown . The yellow from the pigtail was connected to gray from rig, green to white with green stripe. The blue from rig also had two black wires attached.
So is the green from pigtail to green with white stripe from rig ok and the blue with two black wires from rig to pigtail blue OK ?

Probably.......plug in the cord and turn on the lights ONLY and see if the lights come on. The black wires should have been one to the black lead from the truck and one to the brake lead USUALLY. Tbose are to the breakaway switch. But if you are certain that is the way they came off and everything worked before, then it may be fine. There is more than one way to wire thiese up.

In the original config there were three black wires which read as hot, one from pigtail and two from rig. The other two black were connected to the rigs blue, so I'll go with those connections and plug it in with lights and see.
Plugged in,lights on...nothing. Opps. Tried again.. all lights working, inc turns. Didn't try brakes. How about doing same with truck running?

Yes.........go ahead and sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I am out of the shop todayl

All working! Suppose that brake controller on my Ford 305 dully will work also. Will know when I hook up tomorrow. Too late today getting dark already.

10-4

Well all seemed ok until I hitched up, turned on lights with engine running. Then no tail lights on rig ..only truck. Turn,, brake running ok, just no tail lights
Checked for loose wire..all connected.

Check the fuse in the fuse box and see if that is blown. The ones for the trailer are separate from the truck. It might be that simple.

checking, and rechecking now
Checked 12v fuses inside rig. The 12v bank has red indicator lights that light up if fuse is blown. I have not seen any other 12v fuse location in this rig. Could there be a hidden location?

The lights fuse for the outside is in your truck.............

Looked in both locations for fuses in truck. Checked every fuse related to towing.. no fuse for trailer tail light.

What is the year and model of your truck? Did you check for voltage AT the light pin in your plug socket?

Did you try hooking up a 12 VDC power source directly to the green/white wire and a ground to see if that is the marker lights lead?

Attaching a diagram for the plug if you don't have one.......... https://www.etrailer.com/question-363.html

Those locations are correct, but on a 7 lead cord the colors they list are wrong. See this link for the correct colors. http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-travel-trailer-plug-wiring.html

Were you able to get this sorted out here? Let me know if you need more on this and I am making a phone chat offer for you if you think that would be more helpful and faster.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification