How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask gene Your Own Question
gene, RV Mechanic
Category: RV
Satisfied Customers: 1100
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
Type Your RV Question Here...
gene is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Randall, I have a 1984 Winnebago Chieftan that has a Norcold

Customer Question

Hi Randall,
I have a 1984 Winnebago Chieftan that has a Norcold 641 with cooling unit#(###) ###-#### ***** recently replaced the board and upon plugging everything back in and turning on the power, the unit will not turn on in AC mode or LP mode (nothing was working before). There's a buzzing coming from the board when you plug in the DC leads (when you unplug them the buzzing goes away). I'm thinking the cooling unit itself is bad... Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you use an OEM board or after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics? That buzzing usually indicates a short someplace. Unplug the gas valve and try it again. Double check the polarity at the DC connections and be sure you didn't get the feeds on the gas vavle leads instead of the DC feeds. Easy to do......then get back to me. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an OEM board, part# ***** I unplugged the gas valve leads. Checked the polarity at the DC connections. All was good there, reading at 12.4 VDC. Still got the buzzing sound. It may be helpful to note that there currently is no house battery hooked up, just plugged into shore power for now (need to get a new Deep Cycle battery).
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Best to get the battery........these don't work well on just a converter. Especially an older one that may have too much AC ripple which is some AC current bleeding off into the DC side. Boards don't like that! The battery helps to filter out that when present. Put the battery in and try it again. IF you have a meter that reads in millivolts, set it on AC and take a reading AT the battery and see how much if any AC volts you have. Over .5 VAC is too much. Then you would need to upgrade the converter to an all electronic version.

Related RV Questions