RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

Was working fine. Turned off inside RV and left days.

Customer Question
Was working fine. Turned...
Was working fine. Turned off inside RV and left for 6 days. Returned and turned on... Fired right up then quit... That's all it does... Fires up then quits... Time and time again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
10/27/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Is this an Atwood furnace? Do you know which model you have? Get back to me with some additional information and I can help you sort this out. And please let me know if you have an insect screen on the exhaust area AND if you have had the LP pressure checked in the last year at the tank regulator. All the follow ups here are included in or fee and expected.

Completed info... You must not have received. Atwood electric ignition G6A-8E Yes...done at fill-ups

So this is a water heater. I am attaching a link to the Atwood Water Heater manual. Print out a copy or Bookmark this so yo can come back to it again later. Very helpful information in there! Pull the plug off the ignition board and see if it looks clean and not any corrosion. It can be that or the board itself. Most shops can test that for you. It sounds like the flame sense portion is bad and it isn't recognizing that ignition has happened. A very common problem. Check the LP pressure as that will cause this as well. Check the ignitor to be sure that the end isn't bent and out of the flame. That would keep the board from "seeing" the flame. That would be pretty rare on that as it would take someone usually in there bending it. Please get back to me if you need more help on this as all the follow ups are included and expected. Thanks! http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

I have original manuals... I have already done everything you have stated except board... If board, why would it fire up and stay on for 3 seconds or so? Board problems usually keep from firing don't they? Yellow lights flicker during 3 seconds fired (possibly more Info you may not have received from original statement to JustAnswer)

The flame sense section of the board can fail and won't recognize the flame is already there and shuts down the gas flow. A very common issue on these. IF you have a 12 VDC issue from bad or failing batteries, this can happen as well. Be sure that isn't the issue. Have them load tested every year. A bad connection at the board plug can do this. Taking it off and putting it back on again a few times usually resolves this.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification