Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)
Where you towing in this event, stuck in traffic, on hilly terrain?
What was the ambient air temp?
Any coolant loss?
So far the signs are pointing to a sticking thermostat or a slight head gasket leak, packing air into the cooling system and the air bubble is preventing coolant flow.
Are you able to change the thermostat, electrically test the coolant sensor wiring, and do a compression test?
----------Once you get an answer----------
1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.
2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.
3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.
4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.
5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.
6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.