RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic RV Refrigerator in my Travel Trailer. The…

I have a Dometic RV...
I have a Dometic RV Refrigerator in my Travel Trailer. The model number is ***** It is two years old. This summer I noticed an excessive amount of frost near the top of the freezer door. When I investigated why I discovered the latch on the frame of the freezer body would not hold the door closed. There is about a 1/4 inch gap between the plastic latch on the frame and the door handle when the door is held in the closed position. I have been using a small bungee cord to hold the door in the closed position. When I do this the frost does not appear. Is there a fix to this problem besides using the Bungee cord to keep the door closed?
10/25/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Is the door warped or the gasket coming off? IF NOT, then it may just need a new latch. Those are readily available and usually not too expensive. Be sure that there isn't any gunk on the gasket or that it is torn. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

The door is not warped and the gasket is in good shape. It almost looks like the wrong latch was installed. Trailer is a 22 ft 2013 Sale Cruise Lite. FYI I went to the dealer and looked at similar new trailers and found one with the same problem. I suspect they slap these trailers together too fast and make mistakes. Any advise when ordering a new latch or will the modle number be enough?salem is the trailer.......Forest River product

The model number is ***** you may be correct, but those fridges are all put together at the factory. Unless, someone at Forest River "borrowed" one and they didn't put the correct one back. Forest River Customer Service pretty much sucks............not good! Lots of complaints here. Let me know if you need help with the correct part number as I can get that in the morning when I get to work.

Thanks.......I'll try ordering a new latch. This is an entry level trailer. Second Salem we bought.....mainly to see if we like traveling with a travel trailer. Next one is going to me better.....I found a Blackstone 24 ft. which looks a lot better. Pricey, but a lot better.

10-4...........and yes, a Salem is not that fancy, compared to others.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification