Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Got a 1999 rexhall aurbus lam on shore power got power to ac

Customer Question

got a 1999 rexhall aurbus lam on shore power got power to ac units and mic wave not power to 110 out let's try gfi nothing but if I push invert button I get power and my batteries are not charging
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

IF you start the generator does everything work normally?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ac units and mic wave no 110 outlets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my be converter if I can find it I have a box but it might b the inverter I remember a fan sound in bed room might be under bed
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK.

SO you mentioned that if you hit the invert button you get power to the outlets?

An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are unplugged it will also charge the battery when you are plugged in... A power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery, without the AC voltage the converter can not charge the battery.

Normally you would have a transfer switch it switches the AC power between shore and generator, if you are on a 50 amp service it is possible you are missing one hot leg. A 50 amp service is two 110 hot legs coming in. From there the voltage will go to the breaker panel and IF you have an inverter some will pass through the inverter.

The transfer switch could be next to the shore cord outside or can be inside, under the bed, behind the breaker panel etc, the shore and generator cord will go right to it.

I am a little confused on the comment about "If I push the invert but I get power"... Are you getting voltage when the inverter is ON? Really need to know the make and model of the inverter or converter.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iam at work but if I push the inverter button on my panel I get the 110 outlets to work It was working fine till I try hook up 50 amp first I hooked it up with just 3 wires so I ony had 1 leg coming in and that when stop working then I ran 6-3 wire and hook up all 4 now I got 2 legs 110 on each I will look under bed seems like that were I would hear a hum when it was working before
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Yes I would trace the incoming AC voltage to the transfer switch and then out, you should have two hots at 110 if you are missing one of the hots then it would be an issue.... I doubt the issue is after the breaker panel as everything works on inverter... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
coo when I get home Friday I let you know what I find thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I am around daily and respond when I can.... Robert