RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2003 Winnebago sightseer. It has a ford F550

Customer Question
chassis with the v10 triton...
I have a 2003 Winnebago sightseer. It has a ford F550 chassis with the v10 triton gas motor. I have lost power to the dash. nothing happens when you turn on the keys, nothing, no lights nothing. The headlights don't work, the hazard flasher doesn,t work. I have checked the ground wire and traced the hot wires to the starter and junction spot, all have 12.4 volts. I also checked all the fuses under the dash and the power dist, box under the hood, all seem good. I even see 12.4 volts at those locations. Any ideas ???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/13/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Check the hot lead into the key switch.......if you have power there, then the switch went south. IF not, let me know and we will dig deeper. You may need to get a manual for the wiring colors in order to tell. I can look and see what I may have on that, but doubtful. All follow ups are included in our fee. Check for power INTO the light switch as well. A 12 VDC test light is very helpful here.

If the ignition switch went bad it wouldn't effect the headlights or flashers, would it ???

It can turn on power to a number of things..............depends on the vehicle. More likely the headlight switch..........but, just trying to cover all the bases of things to check.

You know the vehicle, I described it in my first question. Are you a real RV mechanic or did I just waste my time and money ??

I am not sure you really have the skills that are needed to track this down............it isn't that hard. And we surely can't recall all the 1000 or more makes and models and we here on site don't have the ability to see your coach. So I suggest that you just call a mobile mechanic to come over and sort this out. It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes. And yes........I did have to pass tests and learn quite a lot over the years in order to be a Master Certified Technician. I have nearly 9000 customers on this site who like and appreciate the answers I gave them. Most were way more difficult than this. I will opt out of this and let another tech offer something, if they can.

RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Do you have 2 accounts, I helped a customer with the identical question on the 13th in the afternoon though they never viewed nor responded?

I don't have 2 accounts, I was cut off on my first attempt at signing on, had to do the whole process again to re- sign on. I believe I have the skills tot rack this down. I am a retired master electrician with over 45 years experience, also have a restored 77 vette all done by myself and sons. What I was looking for is a wiring diagram answer, I would think you would access to the appropriate one for my vehicle and offer some good info, not just generic, back yard mechanic talk, guess I was wrong !!!

I attaching a link for you to the Winnebago Wiring Diagrams so you can resolve this............http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

Already have them, Its the ford F550 wiring diagrams that are the missing link. !!

Check with Ford.............or pick up a chassis manual from Faxon Automotive Literature or one of the other manual outlets.

Let me know which tech you want to work with. The original tech helped, opted out, I chimed in, then the original tech decided to help again. If its a F550 and the front of the RV looks like a Ford super duty, then i can help diagnose this.

Thanks Chris

Are you kidding me, You don't even look up the info about the type vehicle that I sent on my first discussion. You could tell it doesn't have a super duty front, its a motorhome chassis, as previously stated. You guys are just a scam, I will be contacted the appropriate people to get my wasted money back. Thanks for nothing, Owen

Owen, as you can see there are 2 experts trying to help you here. The original that opted out and then came back in and then myself in the middle there. I bowed out because the original expert came back in. We are not a scam, we have to get the correct info though for us to help.

I asked do you have a F550 or a F53 chassis. You said its a F550. I asked if the front end looks like a For super duty. You just replied moments ago saying no. So that means you do not have a F550, you have a F53.

I had to confirm this or all my help would be wrong. Now that I know you have a F53 chassis do you want me to diagnose no power to the dash? If so respond with "Yes Chris"

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic