Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 330 Cummings RV and I can not get the boost to go

Customer Question

I have a 330 Cummings RV and I can not get the boost to go over 15 and it starts to cut out and bucks. Could I have a plugged filter are is a more serious problem. I'm in a very small town in Colorado and need to climb over the Rocky Mountains to get home, can you give me some advice
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a Chevy . It is a 330 cummins diesel in a monco RV chassis!
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Sorry for the delay, not sure why your question went to Chevy but I can try and help out on this.....

Yes it could be a plugged filter, I would change the filters and see if that takes care of the issue. Since you are loosing boost it also could be an issue with the turbo or the piping for the turbo. Behind the radiator you will have a Charge Air Cooler (CAC). It will have two large rubber boots on in it, make sure the boots are not ripped and the clamps are tight. Next what you can do is put about 1/2 cup of liquid soap in a spray bottle and fill the rest up with water. Spray down the CAC and turbo piping, have a second person start the RV and then release the parking brake, hold down the foot brake and put the unit in drive and apply about 900 RPM'S, do not go over 900. Inspect the CAC and piping and see if you have any bubbling from the soap. IF you had a leak then it would mean loss of boost pressure and you would see bubbling from the soapy water. Also look at the turbo drain, should be a rubber hose on the bottom of the turbo make sure it is not pinched off on the frame, have seen that on a few Monaco's.... Beyond that I might see if you can get a mobile service to come out to have a better look, if the check engine light is coming on the engine computer should be logging faults. I am sorry you did not get a faster response, I just happened to be looking in the other sections and saw your question.... Hope this helps.... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert