RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic RM2551 electric/gas powered refrigerator -

hi, I have a Dometic...
hi, I have a Dometic RM2551 electric/gas powered refrigerator - i can't get it to work using either propane or 120V plugged in power. The heater works just fine on propane, but the compartments don't get cold. This started happening about 1 month ago. I purchased the camper new in 2002.
10/9/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

So you are saying it appears to be working but not cooling on both AC and LP? IF you have it set to auto and are plugged into power if you unplug the main power cord will it switch over to propane? IF the fridge is in auto and you loose AC power it should switch over. This might be a clue if it is not switching to LP. The check light should only come on when the fridge fails to ignite on LP..... Robert

correct -it's not cooling on either. I removed the access panel and can see the propane flame, and the chimney is hot. no cooling however......

OK

One test I would like you to do is put it in auto and plug it into power and see if it switches to AC power. IF it does not switch then it sounds like the circuit board is at fault, if it switches over then it could be something else....

tried it - it switched off the gas and turned on the AC voltage. however, still no cooling

OK...

Thanks...

This sounds like a bad cooling unit OR thermistor. Go to the back of the fridge where the circuit board is located, you will see a two wire connector (P-2) unplug the connector and let it run on AC power for about 4 hours and see if it cools, if so bad thermistor. IF it does not cool I suspect the cooling unit is bad, they can rupture or becomes blocked. For a rupture you might smell ammonia, hear a gurgle when you turn it on, OR see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. FOR a blockage you might not have any symptoms at ALL but NO cooling on BOTH sources. Robert

is it difficult to replace the cooling unit? what's the cost of it? also what about the thermistor?cost, that is.

OK

Not good news if it is a cooling unit, it is going to cost over 1/2 of what a new fridge will. In the shop it takes about 4 hours to change the cooling unit vs 1.5 hours to replace the fridge. I suspect a cooling unit is going to run you around 600 dollars min.... For a thermistor you are looking at around 30 dollars. IF you have a volt meter you can actually ohm the thermistor out. Click HERE and see page 11. This is a service manual and should help you out some. If the cooling unit is bad, I might consider a new fridge as the install will be simple and you would get a warranty on a new fridge..... Hope this helps, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

thanks for your honest opinion, Robert - what would you recommend as a replacement and how much would it cost? my camper is 13 years old and in good shape

Let me check and see what model would fit best... Respond shortly....

thanks!

OK

So you can go with the current model as it appears you can still get them OR you can switch over to a Norcold, N510 it runs right around 1K for the fridge. The cooling unit is over 600 bucks for the one you have so if it is not the thermistor I might go with the Norcold, they are just as good as Dometic and since you had an issue I might go with the Norcold. Click HERE to view the N 510..... Robert

Please feel free to select a rating if you are satisfied with my efforts.... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic