Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Is there a fuesable link from the batteries to gererator

Customer Question

is there a fuesable link from the batteries to gererator other then the circuitbreakers.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the actual model number of your coach? That will allow me to pull up the wiring diagrams for you which will be useful for any kind of electrical issues you might have.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

To your actual issue here.............I don't believe there is. The only thing between the battery and genset should be the disconnect solenoid. That does have some fuses on it. One way to tell if that is bad is that it controls ALL the 12 VDC circuits inside as well. IF those work, then this is something else. It may be in the genset. There is a fuse on the control board. Checking this will take either a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so. Get back to me with your model number and I can direct you further here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get that in a few minutes. Nothing on the bus works without being plug in from the wall outlet. The batteries were completly drained which is why I slow charged it overnight. Before that it would click now it does not click and everything is off including the thing under the microwave and I can't see any blown fuses.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If the batteries were dry, they are going to be ruined. No amount of charging will change that. What you heard may have been the converter going out. When there isn't any battery and only converter output for 12 VDC power, it can overload it when a heavy draw like a genset motor and blow the fuses in there or even ruin it. Start with the batteries and have them load tested and eliminate that part of the problem. Then we can test the converter.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just so you know.............fully charged 12 VDC batteries should read 12.8 VDC. When the voltage is low, the amperage spikes and that creates heat in the circuits and components and blows fuses and breakers and damages controls and things.