Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My daughter and son in law are looking to purchase a 1976

Customer Question

hey guys my daughter and son in law are looking to purchase a 1976 airstream ambassador. What are the main inspection points to consider when looking at one of these old campers?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Make sure everything works.......don't take anyone's word for it. And these are not easy or inexpensive to work on. Nothing is "regular" as to fit and most of the parts you have to get are going to be expensive and some may not be available new. While is seems like a neat thing to do, these old units are not easy and will test your patience and your wallet! Hope that proves helpful here. IF you buy it and run into a problem gettting parts, get back to me. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any specific problems with this model you're aware of. Where can we order parts to replace items etc?
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Nothing specific........just that Airstreams are a different "breed of cat" so to speak and all their parts are pretty much unique to them. We just finished working on one and had to special order new vents and some of the trim parts. Windows are not like any others. Inland RV in Bakersfield has a pretty good selection and Arizona RV Salvage may have some for parts. E-bay is a good source and VisionOne. Appliances are standard pretty much. Several larger outlets in the Northwest and of course their dealers.