Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1995 Jayco 30' fifth wheel.the outlets in the back

Customer Question

Hi.I have a 1995 Jayco 30' fifth wheel.the outlets in the back work,but my tester says the hot and neutral are reversed,but they work.all the outlets from the slide out forward do not work.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You have to get the polarity fixed on the shore cord OR the outlet where the power is coming from first. The reversed polarity fuses will be blown in the converter and so you won't have any 12 VDC power as a result. The GFCI outlets and those controlled by those will need to be reset. So do those things first and then get back to me and we can sort out what still doesn't work. This format usually assumes that we won't resolve all issues in the first exchange and there is no limit to the posts we can make............there is still only one charge for the question. ALL followups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is hooked into my garage,with an extension cord and an adapter.If i unplug it from the garage the lights still work.there is only 1 gfci outlet,its in the kitchen,its not tripped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can only see one fuse on the converter,and its not blown,plus all the breakers show 120v
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

There will be at least one more GFCI............usually in the bathroom. If the adapter and extension cord are hooked up to a receptacle that has the wrong polarity this will be an issue, not to mention potentially damaging some of your components. The converter fuses will be blown...........there are at least two. 30 or 40 amp fuses set apart from the others. IF you give me the make and model of your converter/load center I can direct you more in that area. And your AC uses will need to be minimal as you may only have about 1/2 the power your coach is designed to have if it has a 30 amp shore cord. You can't run the A/C on that setup without fear of damaging it or starting a fire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an Elixir model DM-6000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bathroom has just a normal outlet,i have checked all the outlets in the trailer,there is only the one gfci.We have only owned this trailer for a little over a year.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I would give Jayco Customer Service a call at(###) ###-####and give them the last 8 of your VIN number and they can furnish you a complete set of wiring diagrams and perhaps they have one for your load center. Those are NLA and I didn't see any online. That will show you the other GFCI outlet and those others that it controls. Get a small digital multimeter if you don't have one so you can ohm out any circuits and test the AC and DC voltages. I will be unavailable this evening and all day tomorrow so I will opt out of this question so another tech can offer something for you. I will check back on Thursday and see if it is needing some more input. Thanks!

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Any luck with Jayco on the wiring diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they said it was too old.I did find out the garage outlet was backwards.Didnt help much,just the outlets are right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the outlets forward,still dont work at all.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

How many are there? Chances are good if there are two or three that they are all on the same circuit and that one of them is a GFCI outlet. What is in the area where these are?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Be sure to check the converter fuses as those will be blown, unless you did that. That would result in no charging on the 12 VDC side. If the converter is up front in near the batteries, check the outlet to see if that is on a GFCI...........easy to miss one that isn't inside the trailer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is still only the one gfi outlet.The fuses are good.all 6 outlets in the back are working,and normal.all the circuit breakers are showing 120 volts,and there is 12 volts coming out of the converter.Its frustrating,i dont know if they even worked when we bought it,and the place we bought it from,is offering no help,except,its something we must have done.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

So how many outlets don't work? Find out which of your 15 amp circuit breakers control those. You can do that by shutting them off one at a time and see what changes. Once you have that breaker isolated, replace it. Even if that is still good, having a spare is a good thing and they aren't expensive. Breakers can give a good voltage reading with a meter and still be bad as they open up under load. I still think there is a GFCI that you aren't finding. I have never seen a larger 5th wheel with only one. It can be located in a storage compartment or up front near the batteries. When you get back to me, let me know the locations of those that don't work. That would help narrow the search.