Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My atwood 10 gallon works fine on gas, no power to

Customer Question

My atwood 10 gallon works fine on gas, no power to electrical heating element when I turn switch on. Have 110 coming in to relay and replaced relay, still no power to element?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

Do you have DC voltage on the yellow wire coming from the circuit board? The yellow wire should carry 12 volts and signal the relay..... IF you have no DC voltage on that wire but ave voltage on the White wire going to the board from the switch then the circuit board is at fault. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11.29 volts, I know my 12 volt battery is shot it that the problem? Going to hook another jump to battery. That brought it to 11.39 volts, and nothing at element?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

The way that relay works is when you hit the switch it sends voltage to the circuit board, the circuit board then sends 12 volts dc on a yellow wire from the board. That wire should have voltage to trigger the relay. IF the element is good then it is an issue with the 12 volts or circuit board, hope this makes sense, if you need a wiring diagram let me know. 11.29 volts is a bit low so I would try and see what it does around 12-13 volts and see if it works...... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 11.29 volts on the spade connector that connects to the relay, and using the tank as the ground for my test, but still no electricity to the element?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK.

I would see what happens around 12.5 volts, that relay should be clicking over, I almost wonder if you got a bad relay. On some atwoods they also had a high limit cutoff and if you had that you would see one wire on the element going to a disc or button, make sure that if you see that it is not tripped. The main AC power should come from the main breaker panel, I thought I saw you had 110 at the relay... Which means the supply should not be the issue. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked a power pack to the dead battery and it brought it up to 11.39 volts. Can I hook a 12 volt source to the relay where the yellow wire connects to see if it is the circuit board, and I put a new element in, albeit the old one did not test as if dead
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can use another source. This one is a bit of a head scratcher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 110 from the electrical household plug ti the relay, would it help to disconnect the leads from the element to test for power there?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Yes you want to check for AC power on the wires for the element to see if the relay is switching and allow the AC power to go to the water heater. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked a + 12 volt connection to spade connector that yellow wire was connected to on relay and the negative 12 volt lead grounded to tank. 12.95 volts
I tried this with the old and new relay, still no power reading from the wires to heating element?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Boy this one is difficult as it sounds like the new relay is not working allow the AC voltage to switch. I am pretty sure I know the exact model number of this water heater but can you verify that for me? Only one that Atwood makes uses that relay on the back. Also have you checked the voltage on the wires from the relay to the element?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is model GC10A 4E
Serial # *****
Yes the voltage at wires from relay to element read 0.9. Element is disconnected.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Running out of ideas on this, it is sounding like maybe you got a bad relay if the yellow wire is carrying voltage to the relay. A few other things I would check Click HERE and see page 11 and 12, make sure you do not have a high limiot cutout between the element and relay, I did not see one on the diagram but I would think they would have some type of protection for the AC side. Look also on page 25 this is what it says...

No power through relay (electric). • Confirm AC present. • Confirm DC through yellow wire (YLW 2). • Check AC into element. No power, replace relay. • Power into element from relay (no heat), replace element.....

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, If you would like to try another expert please let me know I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I can find I have no reset button, is your recommendation to buy a third relay switch and try it?
Is there a way I can test a relay switch?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

IF you have 12 volts on that wire the relay should be allowing the AC power to the element. I am not sure what else to try on this. Normally you would hear the relay click when the 12 volts is applied, check your AC connections and make sure the ground from the relay is clean and secure. I keep going back to the diagram on this and the relay should be working if you have the voltage on that yellow wire. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it is the ground on the relay. Where is the ground for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I hooked up my alternate 12 volt source, I hooked the 12 volt ground to the aluminum tank, where the green ground wires hook.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

It looks like to me on the print where the relay is that yellow (DC) wire is coming in and then on the other side shows ground,

This one has me baffled, as you should be getting voltage across the relay when 12 volts is applied,.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need more help, I have not gotten it to work, I just have not gotten to work on it lately. My plan is to put a new 12 volt battery in unit and see what that does. I have 13+ volts at the leads to the battery, but I'm sure the battery is dead.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

That is a possibility, sometimes a power converter can put out AC ripple or dirty voltage and the circuit board does not like it the battery also acts as a filter for the converter. I might also have a shop test the circuit board out many shops and RV parts stores have a board tester and can tell if the board is working properly. Please let me know if you need more help.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

The two black wires at the relay are 120 volts for the element, if the contacts were closing in the relay, both black wires should measure 120 volts AC to ground. If the contacts in the relay don’t close then only one black wire from the breaker panel would have 120 volts to ground you should have 120 volts AC going in the relay from one black wire and coming out of the relay to the other black wire to the heating element when the relay switches. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have 120 coming out of the relay, I tested thermostat, have 12 volts going in and 12 volts coming out of it, Would a bad circuit board allow this? Still have 11.39 volts going to relay.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I do not know what else it would be, possible the board it at fault and if you already tried two relays then that might be next. They do fail and if the new one does not do it you would have a backup board. The only other thing that might help is if you can send some pictures of the wiring from the relay to the element. This one is very strange.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the yellow wire is 12volt input one black from 110 one black to element white comes from 110 wiring
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

I been in search of a diagram with the pin outs on that relay. The only other thing I can think of is to follow that green ground and make sure you have a good ground, this makes no sense at all to me, if you have 12 volts going to the relay and have AC voltage on one of the black wires the relay should be working, I would check the ground wire make sure no loose connections and where it terminates is grounded. If I find a pin out of the relay I will let you know... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lug soldered to the tank that green ground connected to corroded and broke. I have the two green grounds clamped to the tank with the vice grips in picture. Has me too if control panel was bad would I b getting 12 volts, and would gas heat be work, as it is working?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I didn't catch the vice grips when I first looked at...

I do NOT think the control board is bad as you would not be getting voltage on the yellow wire. SO it sounds to me it is a wiring issue or the relay is bad. Not sure on that ground if they are making good contact to the tank then it should be OK, I do not have a diagram on how that relay should be wired, I have been trying to find something, if you wired the same as the old one then it should not be an issue. IF you have AC voltage on one of the blacks, the 12 volts is at the relay then it has to be the relay, the ground or the wiring on the relay..... Robert