RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

2003 Fleetwood bounder. onan 5500 generator only runs with a

Customer Question
2003 Fleetwood bounder. onan...
2003 Fleetwood bounder. onan 5500 generator only runs with a completely full fuel tank. Even a 3/4 tank and it runs for 5 seconds and shuts down. code of 33 comes in.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
9/19/2015
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?

MODEL OF GENSET IS 5HGJAB-901B.
I have NOT received an answer yet!
Hank are you there?

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

I can not be online 24/7, but I am online every day.

There is no code 33 on this unit. Code 3 is merely a service indicator.

Let's see what the actual code is.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Did this unit ever run properly, or has it always done this?

I am getting 3 and 3. My manual says there is no 33 but if it comes in as that code it is a fuel supply issue.

No, there is no code 33.

Code 3 is merely a service indicator, and means that there is a secondary fault code set.

As per my instructions above, to get the secondary code, what you must do is while the light is flashing 3 times, you have to press STOP/PRIME one more time.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets