Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Our brand new Dometic water heater model #SW6DEL installed a

Customer Question

Our brand new Dometic water heater model #SW6DEL installed a week ago has stopped working. Electric and gas seem to be heating. Zero water flow from all hot faucets. Cold water normal flow. Opened up bypass and get normal flow through hot but close the bypass and there is nothing. We opened pressure relief valve and getting water flow hot. Disconnected top connector to water heater and got flow and made a real mess. It was working fine yesterday. Please help.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is Robert......

IF the water in the tank is hot and you verified the bypass valve then it could be a check valve issue. Many times on the back of the water heater where the line hooks up they will install a check valve, the check valve will be plastic or brass and have tiny arrows on it for direction of flow, below is a picture. IF you see that I might pull it out and see if you get hot water. It could have been installed backwards OR the spring and disc can fall out and block the flow of hot water. On the valves for the bypass many set ups will have three valves, a hot cold and bypass. The hot and cold should be open (valve handle running with the pipe) and the bypass closed or valve handle running against the pipe.

IF you have an outdoor sprayer make sure the valves are shut, I have seen the hot water do strange things when the outside valves are opened up so make sure they are shut.

To me it sounds like the check valve... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit, also follow ups are included.... Robert

Expert:  larry-cssm replied 2 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/9aucd-brand-new-dometic-water-heater-model-sw6del-installed.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 years ago.

Are you on pump or city water? What is this installed in?