RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I seem to have lost power to my inverter is there an inline…

I seem to have lost...
I seem to have lost power to my inverter is there an inline gfi I'm not finding all circuit breakers appear to be on
9/8/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert...

So what is the exact issue, are you unplugged trying to run the inverter? Are you missing all the AC power when you are plugged in? are you missing the DC voltage?

Robert

When plugged into shore power the inverter does not power up with charging light & I'm missing 110 volt outlets that appear to be running through the inverter

OK

And on your inverter you should have one or two breakers, have you checked them?

What is the make and model of the inverter?

Robert

It is a Freedom 458 not sure which exact model # & yes both breakers on the inverter are on. Unfortunately the motohome is in getting tires so I don't have access at this time.

OK

I am familiar with that inverter. What I would try to do is shut it down at the inverter and then restart it. Between the inverter and battery you should have a large fuse on the frame, I would make sure the fuse is not blown. The inverter could shut down if the battery voltage is low as well. IF the fuse is good and the battery voltage is good along with the incoming AC power it sounds to me like the inverter has failed, normally you do not repair these but replace them when they fail. Click HERE for some info and see the troubleshooting chart. My feelings are the inverter could have failed..... Robert

Do you happen to know if they wood of wired in line to the inverter a gfi outlet that I'm not finding or another breaker buried somewhere

I doubt it, normally power will be direct from the main breaker panel to the inverter. The the GFI would be on the output side. Not only that is should be charging if the fuse between the battery and inverter is good, I would verify the voltage at that fuse, it would be a large fuse mounted on the frame, the manual should show it......

Sounding like the inverter could be bad on this.....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

I've only used the inverter for the battery charging I've never even run the inverter to make 110 volts off the batteries

OK

The inverter needs the AC voltage to charge the batteries, if you have AC voltage getting to the inverter then it should be charging. I suspect the circuit board in the inverter is at fault if that fuse is good. I know the inverter is not cheap so I might give Xantrex a quick call and see if they have any other suggestions they can be helpful. Look at the manual I sent as well, it should help.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic