RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition diesel motorhome. The…

I have a 2006 Fleetwood...
I have a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition diesel motorhome. The cooling unit went out in the Norcold refridgerator and we had it replaced. That lasted about 2 weeks and it went out again and since it was under warranty we had it replaced again. Our serial # *****(###) ###-####to the refrigerator. That didn't solve the problem so we replaced the brain and the touch pad thinking that maybe one of thiese is the problem. We have replaced the thermosensor twice the cooling unit twice. The freezer will not freeze. It is about 20 degrees warmer than should be. The fridge is about 38 degrees and freezer is 26. Wont freeze a bottle of water but will make ice ( slowly). We have had 3 places look at it and no one can figure it out. Can anyone help me ? Thank you in advance.
9/5/2015
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the model of the Norcold? Are you getting any faults on the display? Does it cool better on LP or AC power?

Thanks, Robert

Model # ***** LRIM . no faults. Gas or electric makes no differnceIt wouldn't go on gas before we replaced the circuit board

OK

You had allot replaced on this, normally no cooling on both sources indicates a problem with the cooling unit or thermistor. What you can try to do is unhook the thermistor and it should default to full cooling, the connection will be inside and share the connector with the light. You might get an alarm on the fridge but it should go to full cooling after a few hours. I also might get a small fan and put it on the back of the fridge and see if that improves the cooling, should have a fan that should be coming on the back of the fridge. I also might ohm out the AC heating element to be sure it is good. IF you like I can tell you how to check that but you would need a volt meter. Normally you are looking for a 30 degree difference between the box and freezer. Make sure the door seals are good as well, stick a dollar bill inside the door and shut it, the bill should not fall and have some resistance when you pull it out. The fridge is within range but the freezer is not so I would be looking at the seals, in theory the freezer should get cold long before the box will.... Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

The more I think about how the box is cooling but not the freezer leads me to think maybe the seals are not sealing properly for the freezer....

Robert

Robert are you still with me?

YES... And I keep thinking about how the box is fine and the freezer is not, as I said the freezer should get very cold long before the box, so I doubt it is a cooling unit or thermistor issue, I think this is key and wondering if anyone else has caught that or checked. You can get a dollar bill or any bill shut it inside the door between the seals for the freezer, you should have resistance when you pull on the bill, it should not fall or should not move freely, if the gasket was not sealing it could be the problem. I would also listen for the fans and see if they are coming on allowing the air to circulate.... Robert

Robert. To my knowledge it does not have a fan. I did put a fan up in the top but it did not help it.If I unhook the thermisor and it gets cold are you thinking it is the thermistor? I put bill in between and seals seems good.

OK

I am pretty sure you will have a pancake fan on the back click HERE and have a look, see page 31 this is a service manual, have you checked the door seals? I keep going back to them as the box is cold and the freezer is not, normally you would have the opposite issue.....

Yes if the box gets colds when you unplug the thermistor then it should be replaced. When you unplug it the fridge should go into BOS or back up operating system and it should default to full cooling. Try and clean the seals for the fridge sections as well with some 409 and make sure it is tight, do not open the box for about 2 hours and see what you get. Robert

Thank you. We found the 2 fans but they are not coming on. Is the thermosate right above it on the cooling coil where the red wire coming in that has 12 volts on it and black wire going out?

As the fridge heats up they will come on, normally you will find a small thermal disc what you can do is bypass it and the fans should come on, for testing you can run it like that for a few hours and see if the freezer gets cold. Thinking maybe the air is not circulating allowing the box to stay warm......

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping. ALSO follow ups are included... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic