Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

Just bought a horse trailer with I believe an Onan 5500

Customer Question

Just bought a horse trailer with I believe an Onan 5500 generator mounted on top. The buyer had over $800 work done on it at an authorized Onan service trailer place in Weatherford,TX . He delivered it to me & it has not run for more than 2 hours at any time. Usually 20 minutes or less. Sometimes hard to start sometimes kicks right off. I took it to a 2nd authorized repair place in Tulsa & they charged me $307 & told me it ran fine. I get there right at closing time, was running okay, get home & nothing. Discovered they had moved the battery in the hay pod out of its spot & in driving home the battery flipped over & fried all the wires clear to the gas tank. At this point I am so done with repair bills I don't want anyone to touch it. Local mechanic put in a new battery & redid the wires. It fires right up, & then proceeds to die every 20 minutes just as before. I decide it has to be the gas. So I ran it down to nothing, put in ten gallons of Premium & a bottle of Seafoam. It ran two hours & then we are back to dying every 20 min. It doesn't really sputter, just dies. Sometimes starts right back up, sometimes very hard to start. I'm out of money & ideas! Any advice short of running this thing off a cliff?
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I try to find it tomorrow & get back to you? I'll have to take the cover off & see if I can find that information.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Sure.

But if it is an HGJ series, the data label is located right on the bottom front of the unit - right on the aluminum base.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Ok

.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Did you get the model number yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it's back at the shop.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Ok