RV

Have RV Questions? Ask an RV Mechanic Online.

RV

I have a 2005 Wildwood LE travel trailer I am hoping you

Customer Question
might have a schematic or...
I have a 2005 Wildwood LE travel trailer I am hoping you might have a schematic or manual for. It’s a 23 BH Travel Trailer, tow behind.
I am currently having an issue with the very front 2 power outlets I have so far pulled inspected the outlets, changed every break in the distrobution panel and the GFI outlet with out seeing any changes. I ran a power tester and it show no power at all currently to those outlets. From what i see the lines are not jumping off to the next outlet, they each have their own dedicated line to the outlet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: RV
8/24/2015
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

I don't think there are any diagrams out there for this and we usually find the problem with a multimeter. Most would be hooked up to one of the GFCI outlets and I am wondering if you might have missed one. Usually there is one in the bathroom area and one in the kitchen near the sink. IN some cases, there is a J-Box where numerous connections are made and most of the time, they can be found and accessed. There may be a loose connection in there. Many of these trailers use a cheap plug that is all one piece and the wires just plug into the back. Lots of problems like this with those. I always replace them with a conventional outlet like you would have in your home. Less chance of a bad connection. And remember that all circuits must have a good neutral/ground in order to work so don't ignore that as a proximate cause here. Examine the white neutral leads in your load center of being burned or loose. These can be tested with an ohm meter. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee.

There is only a single GFCI. I was really hoping to find the path of the wires, I know they go up but that is it from there. I will look under and above for a junction box. I did not see one visible but it would make sense with multipule outlets are out. The outlets are the press in type with the clips that splice into the wire. They are enclosed with a back plate at least and I would not put a home style on with out a gang box which I would not have room for. I know there is no power at all to them so I have ruled out the outlet itself as a problem.

Those outlets are junk.........I would replace them with regular ones that have screws for attaching or the plug in wiring. Did you run a ground over to your meter from the source so you can really tell about the power? And most of the time a small outlet box will fit in the wall.

did you test the neutral leads with a meter to be sure they are giving you continuity?

I will be back after lunch and will check back in...........

Testing with this stuff (link below). Right now I have not been able to find the lead wire in the panel. Everything I tested so far performed a function that was working. Power in and out of the GFCI so a j-box does make allot of sense if its accessable.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATOYNP0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Each Romex cable has leads that go to the box in question and those are usually marked in the load center as to which breaker services what. Attach the negative lead on your ohm meter to the white in the load center AFTER you disconnect it............so you don't get a bad reading. Do these one at a time. IF you also take an AC volts reading on the positive lead at the plug that is in question using the same neutral bar (and once you rehook up the lead again) you can test that part as well. Let me know what you find. R.J.

Randall
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification